Chapter Twelve

My leg turned out to be fine. There were just a few minors cuts that were healed quickly with the healing slave. But I still couldn't get the image of my mother out of my head. Why did she look so weird?

"Eve, she wants to see you," Cad said yanking me out of my thoughts.

I looked up and saw the cowering girl behind him.

I smiled at her and she ran over to me almost knocking me over in a bear hug. I giggled and nodded at Cade over her head. He got the message and walked away. He had told me earlier he needed to brief the other on the situation at hand anyway.

I saw the group circle up and knew that the little girl shouldn't hear that. Luckily we were near Cade's tent so I carried her inside. She jumped off of me and stared at me for a bit.

"Thank you for saving my life. I was so, so, so sacred!"

"You're welcome kid," I said smiling.

"My name is Nova, not kid," she said in a duh tone.

"That's a beautiful name," I said, "My name is Evelyn. Nice to meet you, Nova."

"Nice to meet you Evoolyynn," she stuttered purposely.

I laughed at her antics, "What are you doing to my name?"

"I don't like it," she stated.

"Ouch, that's harsh," I said sassily.

"What does harsh mean?" she asked.

I laughed and she looked mad. But the way she scrunched up her little nose made me laugh harder.

"Whatever meanie," I'm calling you Evie- Weavie"

I stopped laughing as I heard some shouting outside. I didn't sound like regular arguing during a meeting. No, it sounded like The Town had arrived. My heart rate sped up.

"What's that?" asked Nova.

"Um, nothing. They're just fighting over which ice cream flavor is better," I lied through my teeth.

It looked like she bought it. I mean kids love ice cream right? And I mean, we're only allowed to have it like once a year here, so she must love it, right?

"Oh, they must be silly then. Cookie dough is the be-" she stared quickly stopping herself, "Wait, you're tricking me aren't you? Tell me the truth, Evie- Weavie!"

I sighed, even a child could outsmart me. But I couldn't just tell her the truth, could I?

The screaming got louder and my heart pounded. I prayed that Cade was okay. I needed to gather my courage to see what was happening.

"Okay, Nova. I'll tell you what is going on if you can sit silently until I tell you to talk. Okay?"

She nodded furiously and covered her mouth with her little hands.

I took a deep breath and braced myself to open the flap of the tent. I slowly peeled back the flap. It was exactly what I thought. More war. There was more blood. More dead bodies. More fighting.

I located Cade and he made eye contact with me. He weaved through the crowd and over to Nova and me I. He slipped into the tent tracking blood with him.

He leaned into my ear and whispered, "We need to leave now. They are looking for you. I know a place we can go."

I nodded, knowing that protecting Nova was out priority now. We couldn't stop to think about others. It sucked, but it was the truth. I felt disgusted thinking about it. But for once I needed to put myself first. Even if that meant others, including my parents and Al, died.