Chapter Twenty Seven

I woke up from being jostled by Essence. Cade was nearly falling asleep while he was standing.

"Will you please tell him that he needs to sleep?"

I took one look at Cade's disheveled appearance and discovered Essence was right. Cade certainly needed rest and I had slept long enough to be able to stay alert. I wasn't about to run a marathon but I could stay up long enough from him to get a few hours of sleep. Running on like four hours of sleep would not last me long though.

"Please sleep Cade," I said quietly. "Essence and I can keep watch. We'll be fine."

He studied me for a minute before closing the distance between us and wrapping me in a hug. His arms were wrapped so tightly around my torso, it was almost suffocating.

"I just want you to be safe," he whispered in my ear.

"I will," I whispered back.

Cade kissed my hair and took a step back. I gave him a small smile that he returned ten-fold. Even if we weren't safe something about being in here made me feel like we were. There was just something about confined spaces that comforted me.

"Turn around ladies," Cade said.

I turned around not wanting to see the male anatomy just yet. The shuffling of clothes reached, my ears as Cade changed his clothes into something more sleep appropriated.

"You're good now," he stated.

I turned around to see him under a mound of covers on the ground. I walked over to him and sat down next to him.

"Goodnight," I said, kissing his forehead.

A content look filled his features and I giggled.

"Goodnight," he said.

Soon, his eyes closed and light snores filled the room. That was my cue to let him sleep. I walked over to Essence and sat cross-legged next to her.

"Are you tired?" I asked her.

She smiled, "Nope, I have insomnia. I guess it's a good thing right about now, huh?"

I chuckled and she let out an airy laugh. It was easy to tell she was lying about being tired, but I decided it was best not to push her until it was necessary.

"Even if I was tired I'd still stay up though," she said, seriously.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Why?"

"Well," she sighed. "You guys are all I have now. I had my parents and Rose and even as much as I hate to say it, The Town." She looked up at the ceiling and let out a humorless laugh. "None of those things lasted for long did they?"

"You and Cade are all I have too," I said.

"I guess I just miss Rose. I don't think I'll ever get over her, Eve. It's just so hard," she said, her voice cracking. "I loved her so much."

Without thinking I pulled Essence into a hug.

"You'll always have me Essence. Always." I said, hugging her as tight as I could.

I could feel her salty tears staining my shirt, but I didn't care. Her body shook with silent sobs as I hugged her as tight as I could. This was the least I could do for her. She had changed my life so much from just being there.

"You saved me kiddo," she said through tears.

Tears filled my emerald eyes, "You saved me too, Essence. We all saved each other and that's how it's going to stay."

Silence washed over us like a refreshing wave on a hot summer day. I'm not sure when our hug broke apart but I felt much better after we did. Essence gave me the comfort I had never received from my mother and I cherished it. It was almost like magic how she could make me feel better and I matter of minutes and how I could do the same for her.