Chapter Twenty

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" asked Essence.

I nodded but held up my index finger to signal for her to give me a minute. I did want to be foolish and tell her everything if there was a camera. Sure enough, I spotted one in the corner of the walls above Essence's bed.

"What are you doing?"

I pointed to the camera. She hummed getting the gist of my actions. She swiftly ripped the blanket off her bed and fastened it over the camera.

"Now will you tell me?" she asked.

I shook my head, "It can still hear us."

I gestured for her to follow me over to the desk. It made me question what those idiots were thinking, giving us paper and pencils. I shook the thoughts away and grabbed the pencil. I gently moved Essence's drawing and began writing. My handwriting messily filled the paper as I tried to hurry. I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody noticed that our camera was covered. I handed the paper over to Essence and she stared at it.

Alistair didn't give me the real injection. I don't know why, but he faked it. The real injection gives the guards the power to make anybody that is injected do anything. I'm not really sure how it works. But maybe my free will can help us? I don't know, but a guard told me they are looking for any chance to kill me.

I looked at Essence to see her feature scrunched up as if she was thinking. She gestured for me to hand her the pencil and I did. She began to write. Her handwriting was much neater and organized than mine. I seriously didn't understand how some people could still make their writing look nice when they were rushing. After writing she handed the paper to me.

Maybe later we could test out the commands? You can try to give me one and see if it works. Then maybe we can see if I can build up a tolerance to them. As for now, you need to behave. Anything you do will be used to build a case to kill you.

I nodded about to grab the pencil when I heard the heavy footsteps of a guard. I looked Essence with a panicked expression. She began ripping the paper into small pieces. She then stuck some in her mouth and began to swallow. She handed some to me and I did the same.

We were able to get about half of the paper down when we heard the lock. Essence quickly shoved the paper in her bra as I yanked the blanket off of the camera and flopped onto the bed. Essence took a quick seat in the chair and went back to her drawing.

The guard stepped into the room and glared at me. I tried to keep my heavy breathing in check by breathing through my nose.

"What is going on here? You will tell me," he demanded.

"I will do so," I said before Essence could even get a word out.

I knew Essence would be forced to tell the truth if I didn't speak up. So I prayed I could figure out a decent lie.

"Essence thought her period had started so she asked to help her. I didn't want her to get embarrassed so I tied the blanket to the camera."

The male guard's eyes widened in shock. I knew that was the last thing he wanted to hear about today. I hoped it would nip all of his questions in the bud.

He cleared his throat, "Okay, um, just, um, call for a female guard to help you next time. I'll make sure to tell one that you need sanitary products."

I could see a hint of a blush on his face. I had to force myself not to laugh and he stumbled out of the room. I turned to Essence to see her fighting the same battle.

She surprised me by wrapping me in a hug.

"Nice save," she whispered, "I felt like I was going to vomit holding all of that in. But when you said those words it just stopped."