Chapter Fifteen

We eventually stopped for the night. Although, it did take me tripping over tree roots to convince Cade that we should sleep.

We weren't lucky enough to find another cave, but we did find a suitable spot between two large bushes. Cade and I yanked out some blankets from the two bags we had stuffed. Nova slept soundly as Cade and I marinated in the silence of the night. Everything felt peaceful. I wish everything was as peaceful as the chirping birds lead us to believe. It was as if nature wanted to lull us into a false sense of security, before snapping our necks.

I turned onto my side and pull the blanket tighter to me. I sighed, not feeling comfortable. I finally settled onto my back and looked up at the star-riddled sky. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be a star. To float around carelessly and just be.

My mind was so cluttered with thoughts, it was like nothing seemed okay. My head was spinning and suddenly I was gone. It felt like I was asleep but awake at the same time.

I could hear voices, but none of them seemed close enough to grasp.

"No this isn't the right dose, we need more the next time we try."

"Agreed maybe-"

"She's seizing!"

It felt like my body was on fire as I slipped further in the darkness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I opened my eyes to see the sun beginning to come up. That meant that it was time for us to get moving. We had to get as far away from the cave as possible.

I decided on waking Nova and talking to her about Cade first. I needed to make sure she was okay with him.

I shook Nova and her eyes flew open instantly. She opened her mouth to talk, but put my index finger over my lips and gestured to Cade. Her eyes widened and she nodded. At that, I led her away from Cade and over to a large oak tree.

"We have to start walking again soon, but I wanted to ask you something before we did."

"Okay Evie-Weavie," Nova yawned.

I sighed, not entirely wanting to bring up the topic at hand. Saying I was conflicted would be an understatement at this point. For a moment I let myself look at the sky slashed with beautiful hues.

I cleared my throat, "I wanted to talk about Cade."

Fear momentarily flashed across Nova's features, and a protective instinct flowed through me.

"He loves you Evie, but he is a little scary sometimes," Nova looked me in the eyes, "How do I know he won't hurt me again."

I slammed my head against the tree. How was she supposed to know that? How was I supposed to know that? He did apologize, He did seem sorry. But, I think Nova needed to hear that herself to feel safe.

"Come with me Nova," I said walking off to wake Cade.

We both trudged over to Cade and I could feel the protective instinct flaring up again. I couldn't put a finger on why I felt the need to make Nova feel safe, but that didn't change my mind.

I bent down and shook Cade violently.

"Eve what the-"

"Tell her you won't hurt her again," I demanded.

Nova yanked my shirt from the back, but this needed to be done. Nobody ever asked me if I felt safe. I was not making that same mistake with Nova.

Cade stood up and looked at Nova, who tried to hide behind me, "I'm sorry Nova. I shouldn't have touched you at all. I promise I will never even look at you again if you don't want to."