Chapter Eighteen

The handcuffs put on my wrists felt much too tight. I looked to Essence to see that her eyes were soaking up our surroundings. How could she be so alert when these handcuffs were practically removing my skin? I clenched my teeth together and studied the mountain of a man in front of me. He didn't look like a Jeremy with his sandy blond hair and strong build.

"We're here," Jeremy said gruffly.

Essence and I looked at each other anxiously. We both knew what this meant.

Jeremy wordlessly led us into a room with a good amount of other kids. There had to be about thirty people ranging in age, ethnicity, and gender. I mean, it did appear that nobody was over thirty, but did that mean anything? There were no connections between us. So how did we all end up here? Was it something in our DNA that caused us not to be like everybody else?

I scanned the room again, this time looking for Cade. I couldn't see his figure in the crowd of panicking people. That was a good thing because if he were here then that meant they didn't let him go.

"Hey, are you okay?" Essence asked.

I shook my head furiously, "I don't see him anywhere."

"Are you worried?"

"No, it's a good thing! That means the deal worked! They let him go!"

Just then the door opened revealing two more people. I clenched my teeth and saw Cade get shoved into the room. But the second person caught me off guard completely. I nearly screamed as beat-up Bobby appeared inside of the room.

Once again, it was like my world was falling apart. They told me he was dead. Dead, as in can't possibly be standing ten feet away from me. But he was. But he was no longer the cocky, blond-hair kid I once beat up. No, he looked different. He looked like he had aged ten years, with the bags under his eyes. He looked defeated.

I didn't have much time to internalize Bobby as Cade practically crushed me in a hug.

"So I guess he didn't get let go," I heard Essence mumble.

"Cade, they were supposed to let you go!"

"Yeah, about that. I said there was no way in hell I was leaving you, so the deal is off."

A worried feeling flooded my body again as I thought of Cade dying with me and the fact that Bobby was here.

"I know what you are thinking," Cade whispered in my ear, "He told me everything. All you need to know is that he knows to stay away from you and yes he's not dead."

Cade pulled away from me as I processed what he just told me.

"Jeez, that kid must have taken a beating," Essence said looking at Bobby.

Cade smirked, "Well, let's just say he had it coming."

"Essence snorted, '' I like this one. You can keep him."

I smiled tightly, he did deserve it. Watching Cade and Essence look at each other confused, I decided it was time for a formal introduction.

"Cade this is Essence. She's my roommate here and pretty much the nicest person ever."

Essence smiled, "Well, thank you, honey!"

"And Essence," I continued, "this is Cade, my boyfriend."

My breath hitched in my throat. It had slipped out. What if he didn't think we were like that? What if he laughed at me?

My anxieties were silenced as a megawatt smile broke out on his face, "boyfriend, I think the sound of that shortie."