Chapter Twenty Three

Essence weaved my hair into a beautiful pattern as I sat watching. She had sprayed countess products in my hair beforehand while brushing it. I had never even seen half of the stuff she just put into my hair, but from what I could see they made my hair look shinier.

The small tugs on my scalp halted and Essence handed me a small hand mirror. I adjusted it to see the back of my head, and I was not disappointed. She had taken my hair and weaved it beautiful from the right side of my head down to my left shoulder. She left the rest of my hair down to make a half up half down style.

"Do you like it?"

I beamed up at her, "I love it. How did you learn to do that?"

Her eyes clouded over a bit and I felt bad for asking.

"I-uh," she swallowed harshly, "I didn't always live in The Town. I moved there with my father when I was thirteen. My mother had, she uh, died. She taught me all of this. She was so creative, and of course, I practiced on Rosline all of the time. She loved looking fancy." She paused before changing the subject. "Anyway, we gotta get moving it's almost seven."

"I didn't even notice," I said surprised.

Essence smiled, "time flies when you're having fun, honey."

I laughed and grabbed the pair of black ballet shoes I had seen in the closet earlier.

"Your man's going to faint when he sees you," Essence said strapping on her heels.

"He better with all that work you put into my hair."

Essence laughed, "Don't worry, if he doesn't fall head over heels, I will smack him with my high heel."

I smiled and laughed, but I was still worried. Sure, we were safe for now, but everything isn't over. I tried to push the bad thoughts away as Essence pulled me up.

"I know you are still worried about everything Eve," Essence started, "But for tonight, just be a petty teenage girl. Have fun! Instead of worrying about whether you're going to live or die, worry about whether Cade is going to like you dress or not."

Petty teenage girl, I could do that.

"Wait, are you saying you think he won't like my dress?"

Essence's eyes widened, "No, baby, that not what I was saying at all-"

I smiled brightly.

"You little-"

We appeared at the top of the stairs and I caught sight of Cade. He was wearing a dark blue button-down shirt and light brown dress pants. He also had a light blue tie that contracted with his dark hair that was styled to perfection. I was speechless, my God I had lucked out.

Essence and I walked, arms linked, down the stairs. When we reached the bottom Cade smiled, lighting up all of his features. Did he want me to melt right here?

"You look absolutely stunning, Eve."

"You look nice too," I admitted.

"Um, rude." Essence said breaking us out of our little moment, "I guess I look like trash then."

"Oh, uh, no you look great Essence." Cade stuttered.

I laughed at his nervousness and Essence joined in. Cade glared at us, making us laugh harder.

"As much as I love being laughed at," Cade said rolling his eyes, "It's six-fifty-two and we have a five-minute walk." He turned to me, "And last time I checked my beauty wanted to show her equally stunning brains off."