TWO

I wasn't a very social kid nor was i talkative at all. I lived in the more rural area of Georgia, a small town called Madison. In Madison, time would pass you by like a snail, there wasn't many malls or theaters to attend. So most passed their time with family, different mom and pop businesses, or local hangout spots.  Summers in Madison were definitely the hottest and hardest, it was always 96 and over. Which lasted all the way up to September.

My family weren't the wealthiest people in the world but we weren't exactly poor either. My dad was a very known black man in the city. He had a fruit truck stand that was very successful. Selling to all of the neighborhoods and restaurants around the town. Unfortunately when i was 6, he died in a tragic car accident while delivering his last order. It was the talk of the town. Many people came and visited my mother when they first announced his death. One of those people being the ex-Council member of Madison, Georgia. My mother re-married to him not to long after his death.

Things were okay at first for the last few months before i turned seven, but those next 3 years became hell. I was touched as a child and only my bestfriend knew. He was my next door neighbor, King, and to this day i still miss him.

FLASHBACK
I was 10 years old, the summer going to 5th grade

I ran next door and went to the side of his house so i could get his attention.

"King" i loudly whispered knocking lightly on his thick window. I stood on my tippy-toes trying to peak through the small opening of non-fully closed curtains. Knocking even faster this time, i shouted for him. Nothing seemed to be working. Seeing my Step-father coming fast down the street swerving. I knew that he was automatically drunk. By that age i had memorized what days and what drinks would cause havoc in the house.

Monday- bingo night, four beers
Thursdays- game night, three moon shines
Saturday's (the worst days)- Casino Night, half a bottle of whisky

Today was Saturday and i knew that whisky had him feeling sweet....meaning he wouldn't be so rough but he'd make sure he'd get what he wanted.

I had to hurry before he saw me.

"King" i yelled now starting to bang out of anger. Noticing pebbles on the ground next to me. I picked them up hesitating before throwing them.

I threw one seeing his head pop up from the side of the bed. I threw another one and he finally saw me.

With a frustrated groan he opened the window. "What Dream" he said rubbing the crust out his eye and rolling back over.

"He's home" i said frantically looking back and ducking down as we both saw him driving up. He jumped up immediately putting on a graphic superhero shirt.

He put his leg over the window noticing his car pulling up and parking in a sideways position in the grass.

"Come on We gotta go" he said climbing over and landing hard on his feet.

We made it past his moms shed and also past her window where she was seen folding clothes facing the other way around.

"Come on"he held my hand running in the open tall field that was next to the house

"Your running too fast" i said gripping his hand tighter.

"Hurry up"he said running ahead of me

"I'm tryinggg" I pleaded trying my best to swallow the tears that creeped up by my eyes and hugged tight on my throat.