Chapter 3

"You like it?" asked the grandfather.

"Very much so, this place is amazing," said Charlie.

They both looked at each other and smiled.

"Well come on in and we will eat supper, then after we will take you into town and show you around there as well," said the grandmother.

"Okay," smiled Charlie carrying his stuff up to the house.

They walked inside. Charlie was amazed, they were still living like the 1800s.

"Wow," said Charlie.

"Let us show you to your room," said the grandfather.

So they opened the door and it leads to his room. It was a cute setup, it had an old dresser with a mirror, on top of the dresser was a photo of him when he was a baby and what the caseworker mailed to them an older photo of him, also on top of it was a comb and a brush, then the bed was a metal frame with an old quilt on top. And an old nightstand next to the bed. Over in the corner was another dresser except it was a washing station, with a bowl and pitcher underneath with a mirror.

It was like taking a step back in time. And there was a stand-up mirror next to the window in the corner also a small closet to hang clothes.

"Wow, this is great, I love it," said Charlie going over and putting his suitcase underneath the bed. He was walking around the room just looking at all the stuff in the room.

"Come on let's go eat," said the grandmother smiling.

They walked back to the kitchen and sat down. He was rubbing the table and just looking around the kitchen, the curtains were opened to the sun it gave off the light inside, he looked at the old fridge and the wood-burning stove that they cook on, a deep sink with a pump, cast iron skillets sitting on shelves, and an old coffee pot sitting on the stove.

"This place is awesome, I love it here already," smiled Charlie.

"Well we are glad you like it, I was worried you would not like it so much since we do not have a television or electricity," said the grandfather.

"No that is fine, I love it," said Charlie.

"Good," smiled the grandfather.

The grandmother brought the food on the table and sat down, they started eating and having a conversation.

"So what do you like to do?" asked the grandmother.

"Well I do like to read a lot and explore a lot," said Charlie.

"You like to read," said the grandfather.

"Yes I do, I read westerns but I will read anything," said Charlie.

"Oh have you ready books about your history?" asked the grandmother.

"Yes I have, it is so sad what they went through and what they are still going through," said Charlie.

"That is right," said grandfather.

"Those ladies cook good," said Charlie stuffed as a bear.

"Yes they do I am stuffed," said grandfather.

"Yes, I'll get the dishes done and we can go into town and explore," said the grandmother.

"Oh don't worry, I'll help you do the dishes, and besides I have always wanted to use a water pump, I have seen them in museums," said Charlie getting up and putting his dishes in the sink.

Grandmother just smiled and looked at Grandfather.

"Okay," said grandmother getting up and taking her and her husband's dishes and taking them over to the sink.

"We can leave them in the sink to soak, I'll plug the sink and put some soap while you pump the water," said the grandmother.

"Okay," said Charlie with a big smile on his face, so he started pumping the water. His eyes lit up and were just at amazement, it was like taking a step back in time.

"Okay, we will leave the dishes in the sink and we can do them when we get back from town," said the grandmother.

"Okay," smiled Charlie.

So they all walked outside the house, again Charlie was looking around and just admiring everything. They got in an old car and drove down the dirt muddy road and on to the pavement and drove off to town.

"We will show you where you will be going to school, it's an Indian school they will teach you your traditions," said grandfather driving.

"Cool," said Charlie.

"There is also a youth center as well, that is where all the kids like to hang out and play games and drink soda pop's," said the grandmother.

"Nice," said Charlie.

At the youth center, there were kids playing games and just talking.

"Hey I heard Charlie is back on the rez," said Blue Bird Woman.

"Yeah," said Amitola.

"Is he cute?" asked BIue Bird Woman.

"I don't know, I guess he is," said Amitola.

"Oh come on girl, he stopped by your place to ask directions," said Blue Bird Woman.

"How did you know that?" asked Amitola.

"Paul Raven told me, he's over there playing a video game," said Blue Bird Woman.

"That kid, never gives up, he follows me around like a pet dog, I am not going to be his woman if that is what he's trying to do," said Amitola.

"He got back a year ago, so maybe he and Charlie will have stuff in common," said Blue Bird Woman.

"I doubt it, they may not get along," said Amitola.

"Amitola," said Paul Raven coming over to her.

"Hey Paul," said Amitola.

"Here, I want you to have this, I made it for you," said Paul Raven.

"I am sorry, I can't accept your gift," said Amitola walking to the bathroom.

"What is her problem?" asked Paul Raven.

"I don't know about her sometimes myself," Blue Bird Woman.