Chapter 10

The next morning Charlie got up and got dressed and grabbed an orange and started walking to the bus stop. He then waited for Amitola. He saw Paul walking.

"Hey I am sorry if I have done anything to you, why do you hate me so much, we are more alike than you think, you came back here a year ago and I came back about a month ago, and we are both still learning the ways, the language," said Charlie.

"We are not the same, you don't even know me," said Paul.

"I don't have to know you, but we came from the same situation," said Charlie.

"No I got taken away because my parents died in a house fire and my grandparents have been long gone," said Paul.

"Paul I've read your profile and mine, my parents and your parents were together when they died, they were all drunk at a house party celebrating white independence day, and someone knocked a candle over and the curtains caught on fire, then everything else went up in smoke, I know where you are coming from, we are the same you and I,  we are both like children of ash and fire," said Charlie.

"What are you some kind of medicine man," angered Paul.

"No, I just know what I see," said Charlie.

"Whatever dude," said Paul.

Charlie just studied Paul then Amitola came walking up.

"Hey Charlie," said Amitola.

"Morning," smiled Charlie.

The bus was coming, they all formed a line and waited for the bus to arrive. When the bus arrived they all got on the bus and sat down.

"I wonder what we are going to discuss in the circle today," said Charlie.

"I know me too, I bet it is going to be interesting," said Amitola.

"Me too," said Charlie.

He started looking out the window.

"Hey, are you okay?" asked Amitola.

"Oh yeah I am okay, I just talked with Paul, I was trying to see if I could get him to open up to me," said Charlie.

"I know, some say he is still angry at himself, and he tries too much to be like our ancestors, but he needs to slow down and study and learn if he wants to be a traditional he needs to learn and be patient, and besides he has no one here on the rez except his uncle, he is the only family he has, he stays with him at his radio station," said Amitola.

"He has a radio station?" asked Charlie.

"Yeah his house is the radio station, it is pretty cool, I'll have to bring you over to town sometime, hey maybe tomorrow or after school," said Amitola.

"Oh that would be awesome," said Charlie.

"Yeah it would," said Amitola.

They arrived at the school and went inside and grabbed school supplies and walked into the classroom.

"Alright gather around the circle," said the teacher.

So they grabbed a chair and sat it in a circle.

"Class tomorrow we are going to have a formal ball at the youth center and welcoming our young ones home," said the teacher.

"Cool," said Amitola.

"Everybody is welcome to join in on the fun, you don't need an invitation or anything, just show up and enjoy the food and dancing and the singing as well," said the teacher.

They all whispered and the girls giggled and looked at the boys, the boys started blushing. Yes, a Native can blush.

Charlie looked across the room at Amitola and smiled. She pushed her hair back away from her ear and looked down and smiled.  Then they started talking about subjects on Native history. Then the bell rang and it was time for them all to go home.

When the bus dropped Charlie off, Amitola stuck her head out of the window.

"Hey Charlie, I'll see you tomorrow at the dance," said Amitola.

"Yeah," said Charlie smiling.

Amitola stuck her head back inside and the bus drove off.

"Yes," he said to himself and continued to walk down the driveway to his grandparent's house.

"Hey, how was school," said Grandfather carrying some eggs in a basket.

"It was great grandfather, hey did you know they are having a dance at the youth center?" said Charlie with excitement.

"Yes everybody is welcome to come, we will also be welcoming our children home that got taken away long ago," said Grandfather.

"Wait, you knew about it?" asked Charlie.

"Small town grandson," laughed Grandfather.

"Oh that's right, ha, I forgot," laughed Charlie.

"Is Grandmother inside?" asked Charlie.

"Yes, she is knitting," said Grandfather.

Charlie ran inside.

"Hello grandson how was school?" asked Grandmother.

"It was great as usual when I get done with my homework can I talk to you about something, it's about the dance that is happening tomorrow?" asked Charlie.

"Sure you can grandson," said Grandmother.

"Okay I'll be right back," said Charlie running to his room to do his homework.

As he was sitting by the window doing his homework, he happened to look out the window and saw the horses running around the fence, he just stopped and starred as the sun was beaming down making it look like taking a step back in time, it was a beautiful scene. He finally finished his homework and ran back out to the living room.

"Sit down my grandson, what do you want to tell me," said Grandmother.

"How do you show a girl that you might like her? I mean i know how to win a girl by bringing many horses to the father, but the times have changed," said Charlie.

"Yes that is true, just be you and tell her how you feel about her, she will understand, I am sure she feels the same way about you grandson," smiled Grandmother.

"I think so too," smiled Charlie.

"This wouldn't be Amitola would it?" asked Grandmother.

"Yes," said Charlie.

"I thought so grandson," smiled Grandmother.

Grandfather came in with a basket of eggs and laid them on the counter and a dead chicken with it's head cut off and laid it in the sink to be plucked. 

"I picked up some eggs, and we will have chicken tonight, I had to kill a chicken she was not laying any eggs," said Grandfather.

"Oh okay, how many eggs do we have?" asked Grandmother.

"Oh they laid good today, about 10 eggs today," said Grandfather.

"Wow, that is better than a couple of days ago," said Charlie.

"It sure is," said Grandfather.

"Well I better get the pot ready for the chicken," said Grandmother.

So she got the pot ready and plucked the chicken and threw it in to boil and steamed some vegetables and made some biscuits to go with the chicken. When it was ready to eat, they all gathered around the table and sat down and started eating.