Chapter 13

They came to their destination it was still a little bit of daylight left. Charlie's Grandfather unloaded Pauls's backpack.

"Hey I'm going to need all that stuff," said Paul.

Charlie's Grandfather handed them both blankets and handed Paul a knife, Charlie already had a knife.

"Look after one another," said Grandfather.

So Paul's uncle and Charlie's Grandfather drove off. Charlie and Paul started walking. They came up to a river bed and sat down to rest a little.

"This looks like a good spot to sleep," said Paul.

"No look at the tracks, animals come here to get water," said Charlie.

"What kind of animals?" asked Paul.

"Deer, Rabbits, Cougar, bobcats," said Charlie.

"Oh," said Paul.

"Well I'm going up the river you can stay here or come with me," said Charlie.

"Na, I"ll stay here," said Paul.

"Okay, in the morning I'll meet you right here at the same spot," said Charlie walking away.

So Paul laid his blanket down on the bank and laid down with his knife next to him. Charlie went up the river and found a flat area and laid his blanket down on the ground and built a small fire and laid down with his knife next to him. They fell asleep but a noise woke them up, then they went back to sleep and started dreaming. Then they woke up to rain and thunder. They woke up and started looking for each other.

"Paul," said Charlie walking back to the bank.

"Hey Charlie," said Paul crossing the river and Charlie lending him a hand across the river.

"There is a cave up ahead, we can rest there," said Charlie.

So they ran towards the cave that was not too far from where they were. Once they got into the cave they built a fire and sat down and looked out and watched the rainfall. They had the fire going it was quite.

"So," said Charlie trying to start a conversation.

"So," said Paul looking into the fire.

"Look I know we got into a rough start, I was wondering what we need to do to be friends, because we both had parents that died in the same fire, and that was neither one of our faults," said Charlie.

"I know, I guess I don't know why I am so angry," said Paul.

"I think its because you don't understand or why it happened to your parents, but you have to remember it happened to mine also, and I'm not angry about what happened, stuff like that happens all the time, but we should not be angry at each other because we did not do anything to cause our parents death," said Charlie.

"I know, I just wish it was me instead of them," said Paul.

"No you don't because no parents should have to bury their children, and besides I would not have met you," said Charlie.

"This is true," said Paul.

"So are we friends?" asked Charlie sticking his hand out to shake.

"Friends," said Paul.

"Great, now what about your friends at school," said Charlie.

"Don't worry about them, I'll talk to them," said Paul.

"Thank you," said Charlie.

"Your welcome," said Paul.

They laid down and went to sleep. The next morning, they walked out of the cave and went across the river, they started walking to the road and saw a vehicle waiting.

"Hey, how'd ya do?" asked Grandfather.

"Good, I'm ready to go home and take a shower," said Paul.

"Me to," said Paul.

"It was only for one night," laughed Paul's uncle.

So they drove Paul and his uncle home. They arrived at Paul's uncle's house, and they went inside and Charlie and his grandfather drove away to there house.

"So how did you do?" asked Paul's uncle.

"Good, we talked a little, I think we're going to be alright, we looked after each other like his grandfather said," said Paul.

"Well that is good, I'm glad you both made peace with each other," said Paul's uncle.

"Yes," said Paul.

"Well that is good," said Paul's uncle.

Back at Charlie's place they walked inside.

"So how did it go grandson?" asked Grandmother.

"It went fine, I thought it was going to end horribly but it went good, we went our separate ways, he stayed on the bank where I told him animals like to come and drink water, but he wanted to stay so I went on, we slept for a little bit then a storm started to roll in. I got up quickly to run back to the bank and we met each other on the bank and we ran to a cave and stayed there and just talked," said Charlie.

"So do you think his heart is good?" asked Grandfather.

"Yes I do, I think we're going to be alright now," said Charlie.

"Well that is good, I'm glad to hear all this, this is good news," said Grandmother.

"Yes it is, now we all can be at peace," said Charlie.

"Yes," said Grandfather.

So when they all went back to school everything was alright now, Charlie and Paul became real good friends, Charlie's Grandfather taught both of them to dance in the pow wows, showed them certain steps and what they mean. They became best friends and since then they are still friends, Amitola and Charlie became an item, and Paul found his soul mate as well.

They all hang out on the rez at the youth center, who knows what will happen to them in the future or what will become of them all when they get older, only time will tell.