Chapter 7

When they were finished, the teacher told them all to make a circle on the other side of the room with their chairs. Once they did that, the teacher started talking to them about there traditions, and what the circle meant to the Native People. So they started talking and learning and listening. Paul Raven kept looking and watching Charlie, but Charlie paid no attention to Paul, nor did Amitola. Paul Raven thought to himself "I need to act fast before she is taken from me, I have to make her my woman."

The bell rang and everybody rushed out to the hallway to the lockers to grab their stuff and wait on the bus to arrive. As they were waiting, Paul Raven was just standing by his dirt bike looking at Amitola and Charlie laughing and smiling. He could not take it anymore so he walked up to them.

"Hey Amitola, I Have something for you," said Paul Raven.

"I already told you, Paul, I can't," said Amitola.

The bus came just in time and Amitola got on the bus as did Charlie. Paul Raven just backed up and walked back to his dirt bike, and rode off.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is it that he wanted to give you?" asked Charlie.

"Oh, he wants me to be his woman, so as a gift, he made me a chocker necklace like the one he is wearing. The teacher said that men would court the women, and they would do anything to get them, like bring 10 horses to the girl's father, even 20 horses to win her as his woman. Because of the man that is how much she means to him," said Amitola.

"Oh, so he wants you, you are worth something to him," said Charlie.

"I am not going to be his woman, he says we should all get back to our roots and live traditionally, that's what I told my friend that no girl is native enough for him," said Amitola.

"Oh," said Charlie.

"It can sometimes get on your nerves after a while," said Amitola.

"I am sure it does," said Charlie.

"Well this is me, I'll see you tomorrow I hope," said Charlie.

"Yes I will see you tomorrow, or even this afternoon if you come into town some time to the youth center," said Amitola.

"Yeah that would be cool," said Charlie.

"You better go before he takes off," smiled Amitola.

"Right I am going, see you later," said Charlie running off the bus.

He walked up to the driveway and saw his grandfather out in the barn and smelt a pie coming through the window. He just stopped and looked and just took it all in, he could not believe that he was here, to stay.

Grandmother saw him through the window as she placed the pie on the window seal to cool.

"Hey Charlie," smiled Grandmother.

He smiled and ran inside to hug her.

"So how was school today?" asked Grandmother.

He put his back-pack on the table.

"It was great Grandmother, I enjoyed it a lot, I even made a few friends as well," said Charlie.

"That is good, see you did make friends and you did not need to be afraid," said Grandmother.

"I know, I enjoyed it, I learned a lot," said Charlie.

"That is good," said Grandmother.

"I know it is," smiled Charlie.

"Where are you going?" asked Grandmother.

"To see what Grandfather is doing," said Charlie.

"Not right now, don't you have homework to do?" asked Charlie.

"Oh that's right, yes I do have homework, thank you, Grandmother, for reminding me," said Charlie.

"You are very welcome," said Grandmother.

Charlie took his bag and ran to the room and sat down and started doing his work. When he was finished he went back to the kitchen.

"I finished my homework grandmother," said Charlie.

"Good," said Grandmother.

"Now can I go see what Grandfather is doing?" asked Charlie.

"Yes now you can go," smiled Grandmother.

Charlie ran out of the house and ran to the barn where his Grandfather was feeding the horses.

"Are going to ride today Grandfather?" asked Charlie.

"Not today, they need to eat first, then later we will ride some more," smiled Grandfather.

"Oh okay," said Charlie.

"You know, you should go exploring around here, there are lots of cool stuff to explore around our property, you might find something you really would enjoy," smiled Charlie.

Charlie's eye lit up with excitement, so he walked out of the barn and just stood there looking around, wondering where to start first, then he herd a bicycle horn. It was Amitola coming down the driveway.

"Amitola, what are you doing here?" asked Charlie.

"Came by to hang out with you," said Amitola.

"Let me guess Paul Raven is at it again?" asked Charlie.

"Yes," said Amitola.

"Great, I was going to go explore around the property do you want to come with me?" asked Charlie.

"Sure I would love to, I like exploring," said Amitola.

So she walked her bike up to the house and leaned it against the house.

"Grandmother, we will be right back, we are going exploring," said Charlie.

"Hello Amitola, you guys be careful," smiled Grandmother who knew what they will find.

"We will," said Charlie.

So they took off running.