Chapter 1: Yellow

The hustle and bustle of the city has a way of filling people with unlimited amounts of energy. Every morning, thousands of ordinary, everyday people board the same train as you. The rising sun peeking over the tall buildings, and the clouds gaining the colors of it's rays; it's always a beautiful day. A hefty sigh exits your lungs as you lay your head against your arm that held tightly onto the train's pole.

As the train bumped down the tracks, your grip tightened around the cold, metal pole in order to keep yourself steady. Though the city you lived in was undoubtedly gorgeous, it was also just a never ending cycle of the same things over, and over, everyday.

You would go to work after the train makes it's first stop. You have an ordinary desk job that's held in one of the very buildings the sun was trying so desperately to get it's warmth over. You would meet deadlines, and then leave just as the sun began to sink beneath the horizon. From there, you would take the next train home, which was a small, but tidy apartment. It was just you.

No boyfriend, no friends. You hardly saw family, too. The moment your key turned the lock, was just the end of another ordinary day. One that will surely begin again tomorrow, and then the day after tomorrow, and then the day after that one as well. Don't get yourself wrong here, you didn't hate your life one bit. But the empty feeling that kept growing in your chest had a new want, other than financial stability.

You wanted to love, and be loved in return. Someone who would share your bed, and caress your cheek as the morning set in. You wanted the sensation of someone's lips against yours as you waved them goodbye to start your journey to your plain desk job. You were still young, but you always tell yourself. And there's this voice at the back of your mind warning you of the consequences of not putting yourself out there.

✞✞✞

With a small sigh, you hang your bag up on one of the hooks beside your front door. You slowly slide off your shoes, and made your way to the living room.

"I think I'll just be one of those crazy cat ladies.", you said gently to yourself, as your stare out the porch door.

A sudden soft, and warm feeling began to brush itself against your legs. As you look down, a small smile fills your face. Your white, long-haired cat, Snowball greeted your warmly. You slowly kneel down to caress its velvet fur, booping it gently on the nose. Watching it shrink back from the sensation caused you to let out a small chuckle of amusement.

"How many more brothers and sisters should I get you, Snowball?", you laughed.

Snowball only runs off to the back of the apartment, causing you to be all alone, once again. You steadily put yourself back onto your feet, and make your way over to the kitchen. You weren't much of a cooker, so most of your fridge and cabinets were filled with off-brand TV dinners, and the occasional cup-of-noodles.

You slowly pull your hair behind your ear, switching on the kitchen light. The sun has slowly descended beneath the horizon, and the clouds beam through your window with the last of their gentle pink, and purple hue. You began to heat up your water for your noodles, and slowly lifted your arms above your head to stretch.

"I'm just going to eat, shower, and go to bed today. Nothing more, nothing less.", you mumbled.

✞✞✞

You finished off your dinner, and fill Snowball's bowl with food before starting a hot shower. You quickly got in and out, enjoying the steam that was created around you. With a deep inhale, you wrapped your towel around your body and made your way to your room.

Your room was warm, and not too colorful. You had a soft bed, with many warm comforters and pillows. Your laptop laid gently at the edge of the bed, opening it as you made your way to the closet. You began to pull out a pair of your pajamas, and kicked out one of your cat's toys that somehow made its way in there. You quickly changed and plopped down onto bed, pulling the laptop over your stomach.