Chapter Four

The night ended, and Charlotte was looking for Evelyn to check on her to see mainly if she knew about Rafe. She found her lying in bed ready to cry.

"Evelyn." Charlotte said,

Charlotte went over to her bedside and petted her hair, because she saw a tear about to roll down her cheek. Evelyn pulled her head away from her pillow, and Charlotte frowned as she knew what was wrong and why Evelyn was upset. Charlotte laid down right next to her and held her to comfort her.

"How was Danny?" She asked trying to change the subject

"He was fine, we didn't talk much." She said "What about you, how did you spend the night with Rafe."

She mentioned to her how she went on a boat with him that was closed and she mentioned how they said "I love you" already. Charlotte was very envious of Evelyn, she was stubborn, smart and beautiful and boys would always want her. But Charlotte had felt insecure around Evelyn sometimes.  But Evelyn didn't know if she wanted to go to the train station the next day, even though it may have been the last time she sees him.

The next day, Danny and Charlotte walked Rafe to the train station, Evelyn didn't show up with them. Charlotte seemed disappointed. But she knew that Evelyn couldn't face the man she loved leaving and possibly not coming back. Danny smiled as he seemed proud of Rafe. Charlotte saw as Danny felt envious of Rafe, because Danny never had his moment to shine as a hero, and she knew that Danny was capable of going far in the military. Danny smiled and you could see his dimples.

"Just come back for the both of us." He said, "And the girl you love."

"Danny, if anything happens to me, I want you to tell Charlotte alright."

Danny nodded, and he agreed to protect her. Charlotte smiled and she looked up at Danny. Rafe hugged Danny first as if they were actually brothers, it almost was they were. Charlotte teared up as she saw her brother ready to go to battle. She was so proud of him for living his dream, to become the best pilot for the job and help defeat the Germans. As Rafe left to hop on the plane, Charlotte embraced Danny, and held on to him and almost refused to let go of him. Danny promised to look out for Charlotte. But when she was holding on to Danny, he was clearly towering over her with her 5'5" stature, and you could tell he was 6'3". She placed her head on his chest, and his brown eyes looked into her blue ones and they both smiled as they watched Rafe go.