Chapter Twelve

After work, Charlotte came home and Danny was following her, it was almost that they were the new Rafe and Evelyn. Danny wrapped his arms around her small waist and started kissing her not caring who was there. Betty and Barbara were right behind them. As they let go, Betty was making kiss noises and Barbara was doing some odd dance to make fun of them, again. Evelyn came from behind and told them to stop, of course Evelyn was still in grief for Rafe.

"Ev..." Charlotte said to her

"Charlotte it's okay." Evelyn whispered to her "You two look happy."

The girls, including Evelyn, were all excited for her. Charlotte was seen as the "innocent one" of the group but as soon as Charlotte told Barbara about the parachutes, Barbara couldn't keep her mouth shut. Charlotte was always making sure Evelyn was alright, knowing that she missed Rafe because so did Charlotte.

"Evelyn?"  Charlotte approached Evelyn the same night "are you alright?"

"Yeah." Evelyn replied "Charlotte I'm fine."

Charlotte heard a knock, come from the window, it was Danny. She opened the window

"Hey." Charlotte said as her voice sounded softer than normal.

"Charlotte, is Evelyn around?"

"Yeah, she's here with me."

"It's Rafe..." Danny stuttered, "He's alive."

Charlottes heart dropped, Evelyn woke up instantly.

"You better not be joking Danny." Evelyn cried "That's a cruel trick."

"I just saw him Evelyn. He's outside."

"What?"

Evelyn ran outside instantly. Charlotte wanted to go with her but she went to Danny first.

"What do we tell him?" She asked

"The truth." Danny cupped her face as she was nervous of what Rafe would do as he found out his best friend was seeing his sister, or even slept together a few times.

"I will even tell him that I love you because I do, and if I get pounded on for it, so be it."

"Let me go with you." Charlotte commanded as she knew Rafe was going to pound on him.

"Of course my love." He said to her as he held her hand, "Come on."

He helped Charlotte climb out from the window, he lifted her and placed her down gently and he smiled at her as she clearly was terrified.

"It's all going to be alright, I promise." Danny whispered to her.

"Where's Danny?" Rafe said from the distance, and Danny knew he was busted.

Danny and Charlotte both sprinter over to him.

"Rafe..." Danny shouted, Charlotte ran next to him and Rafe started to get the puzzle pieces and put them together. Rafe looked betrayed because Danny was told that Charlotte was off limits.

"Rafe!" Charlotte said. Evelyn looked both at them as Rafe looked at Danny and just walked out.

"Evelyn, are you coming?" Rafe asked.

"Yeah." Evelyn walked with him.

"Rafe..." Danny stuttered

"Stay away!" Rafe shouted at Charlotte and Danny.