2

Important note: My intention is never to offend anyone when it comes to the location / dialogue / background / facts in the story. If you feel like something is incorrect please do correct me so that I can improve ❤️

Chapter Two - Ryder Jackson

Loud chirping of birds and sounds of animals in the distance wake me up from my slumber. I yawn before sitting up in the comfy, large bed laden with soft white sheets and pillows. Sighing happily at the fact that I've escaped my nightmarish past, I stare at my surroundings with joy. I'm finally starting over after years of praying of an opportunity to do this.

My warm feet touch the cold hardwood floor which makes me shiver slightly before I adjust to the chilly temperature. Although it's late Winter, the weather isn't too keen on warming up at all to welcome Spring with open arms. Opening the curtains, I let the sun's rays kiss my skin as I bask in the feel of warmth on my body.

Padding my way into the bathroom I freshen up and brush my teeth before stepping into the large shower after grabbing a set of clothes. I find toiletries to pamper my hair and body with while I'm under the comforting spray of water. After staying in there for longer than necessary, I finally step out and wrap my body and hair in a baby blue towel.

Changing into my clothes, I find a hair dryer and quickly blow dry my wet strands before pulling it up into a ponytail. I step back into the room again to grab my phone and slide it into my back pocket. Nodding at my outfit in the tall mirror leaning against the wall, I make my way downstairs to have breakfast.

Noah is the first person I see. He's sitting on a stool by the kitchen island and is dressed for the day in dark jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt. When he hears my footsteps his head snaps up, light green eyes focusing on mine before he grins widely.

"Hi, Ella. Say, do you know how to make pancakes?" He asks with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

I nod with a smile and laugh softly at his excited behavior when he hops off the stool and comes to stand beside me. I accept his offer to help only because I really don't know where the ingredients or cutlery are kept.

One by one, I list off what I need to Noah which he finds quickly. Eventually, I have everything I need to make breakfast. Besides the chocolate chip pancakes I also make a few blueberry ones just in case. As I cook, Noah chatters away and doesn't ask me about myself which I appreciate. I can tell that he's curious but also respecting my space and privacy.

One after the other, the rest of the family start piling into the dining room that is connected to the kitchen. Evan's eyes light up when he sees the pancakes whereas Michelle groans about how Noah had them yesterday. I narrow my eyes in mock anger at the smirking boy but nothing can stop the smile from spreading on my lips when he whispers out an apology before stealing four for himself.

Roman and Theo greet me as they all take a seat at the dining table. I serve a stack of both blueberry and chocolate chip pancakes with syrup and fruits. Placing a mug of orange juice on the table, I smile widely when everyone's plates are filled with food. As I grab pancakes for myself, the family praises me on how delicious the breakfast is which makes me blush. Pride rises within me and it's a feeling I had long forgotten.

We talk while eating about what needs to be done around the house and the ranch. Theo brings up some issues that Noah said he'll help him with while Michelle mutters about the gardens needing to be watered. Roman adds that he may be going back to Houston in a few days. While he's talking I find out that he works as an agent in the FBI Crime Associated Agents operation in Houston. Apparently they do most of the undercover and dirty work that isn't public knowledge.