12

Chapter Twelve - Temporary Goodbyes

Two weeks have passed and we're now at the end of March. Everything's been quiet with nothing more from Seth however I feel like this might be the calm before the storm. Although I haven't received any more phone calls or voicemails from him it hasn't stopped me from feeling constantly on edge.

Ryder has been helping me a lot to stay calm and taking Knight out to the lake has become a daily routine for us. Sometimes we talk about stuff and sometimes we just sit in silence and admire the view.

If someone had told me that Ryder and I would become quite close when I first met him I would've laughed in their face. Although he's still his silent brooding self most of the time there are a few moments where he's completely let go of his reserved nature and allowed himself to relax around me.

"Ella, is everyone's pay entered for the month?" Evan's question brings me out of my thoughts.

"Yes, you can access the spreadsheet now if you want." I smile as he nods in reply.

Just then, Theo walks in and greets us. "I have the final numbers for how much the repairs on the barn cost."

"I'll take that." I grab the piece of paper from him and pull up the spreadsheet for expenses.

"We also got some new supplies, feed and hay delivered this morning so there's the invoice for that." He hands me the papers and I thank him before turning back to my computer again. "You guys coming for dinner?"

"Yeah, we'll be there in a few minutes." Evan responds while Theo and I glance at each other with an amused smile as his glasses slip down to his nose.

"Alright, see you later." Theo snickers before leaving which causes Evan to look up with a confused frown.

I shrug with a smile when he looks over to me before getting back to work. It takes me another twenty minutes to get everything entered in the spreadsheets and books. After I've checked the website and email Evan and I finally call it a day. We have been working since nine in the morning with only a small lunch break so I'm quite relieved that I can relax for the rest of the evening now.

We make our way into the kitchen and I take a seat between Noah and Roman. As we dig into the food Noah rambles on to me about school and how some students got into a fight and were suspended for two weeks. I listen with wide eyes, grimacing here and there as he recalls how brutal it was. Theo shakes his head in mock disappointment as he states what the kids could've done to land a better hit on each other. Michelle and Evan roll their eyes at him in response while Noah and I laugh as he gets told off.

Ryder and Roman only add to his misery by agreeing with everything their parents say and the sight of Theo getting annoyed at them only makes it more hilarious. Thankfully, the conversation moves onto another topic before we eventually finish up. I offer to wash the dishes like usual but this time Ryder joins me. I try not to let my surprise show as he steps up beside me and starts drying the dishes.

He's quiet throughout it all and I don't speak either. It's not that awkward because when I sneak a glance at him he looks to be lost in his thoughts. When I'm done and have cleaned the sink I nudge him with my elbow.

"All finished." I laugh when he realizes he was waiting for me to hand him another plate.

"Oh!" His eyes widen before a small smile lifts his lips. I turn to leave but he catches my arm and brings me to a halt. "I'm going down to the lake...want to come with me?"