13

Chapter Thirteen - Unsteady

I'm currently sat in a room in Houston's police department which Roman works with. Today, I'm pressing charges against Seth and right now I'm answering many questions about what happened during the years, from when I was taken to present day. Hunter is also waiting outside because a lawyer from the firm he's working part time at is representing me when we go to the criminal court next to file a restraining order. He wanted to be there to make sure that everything is running smoothly and to offer support. So far, I've given all my details and Seth's before describing him as accurately as possible.

"Why didn't you report this sooner, miss Ella?" Fred, an officer who works at the department, asks me with a frown.

"Seth took my mobile phone from me and had no landline set up in the house I was being kept in. When I was attending college, I had guards with me and even then I was watched the whole time to make sure I didn't call anyone." I explain as I clasp my hands tightly under the table.

"Alright and what was the reason for him kidnapping you and holding you hostage?" He asks and I struggle to keep the unease out of my voice as I recall the horrid memories.

"My father owed Seth a lot of money when we were struggling with our business but the company went bankrupt and dad died soon after. At first Seth seemed understanding about my situation and I promised to repay him bit by bit from the job that I had. But after the funeral he took me from my home one night." I take a deep breath and feel a tremor run down my spine. "Apparently my father had told him that I have a trust fund in my name. I think it was to reassure Seth that he would be repaid no matter what happens. He brought me to his house, told me that I was going to marry him and that I would be transferring the money to him. But I couldn't access it until I turned twenty-one so he kept me locked up in his house. I tried many times to escape but failed and every time I would end up beaten."

"Why would he want to marry you? When you turned twenty-one you could have transferred the money anyways. You two could have made up a contract instead of him keeping you locked up." Fred rubs his temples when I shrug halfheartedly.

"I asked him the same thing but he said he had grown to like me. When I refused to be with him he became angry and that's when he took me away by force. He said he wanted me and the money no matter how many times I tried to tell him to let me go." I sigh heavily as I recall the crazed expression on Seth's face when I told him I didn't harbor any romantic feelings for him. I was only a high school student at the time and he was almost thirty!

"Okay..." Fred exhales deeply with a look of slight disbelief. "What happened during the time you were locked up in his house?"

I begin to explain how Seth was nice to me at first and how things turned ugly when I would reject his advances towards me. When I get into all the incidents of physical and verbal abuse I find myself having to stop to take a breath or have some water to calm myself down. It's distressing to explain everything since all the memories keep flooding my mind which I don't want to relive.

"I-I'm so sorry. It's just upsetting to remember –" I start feeling embarrassed.

"I understand, miss. You take all the time you need." He smiles patiently as he waits for me to continue.

"For a few months I planned to escape and I finally did one night when he came home drunk but he still chased me when I ran. I made it to Kansas by taking flights and buses but he followed me there too. It was late at night and there was nobody about to help me. But then, I saw a pickup truck and feeling desperate I climbed into it to hide because I knew he would catch up to me." I take a quick sip of water because my throat feels like sandpaper. "I was drained and tired so I quickly fell asleep. The next morning, I woke up to realize that I'm in Dallas at the Jackson family's ranch. It was Theodore and Noah Jackson that were in the truck and who found me."