23

Chapter Twenty-Three - Showtime

A month later we finally reach the night of the performance. I peek from behind the curtain and catch Ryder's bright gaze. He smiles boyishly and waves which I return with an excited grin. I then turn to the students and provide them with words of encouragement before we all take our places.

I sit at the piano with the rest of students ready to play with their instruments in hand. Shooting them a reassuring smile I count them down before the curtain is drawn and we start the show off with the first song. The rest of the school's students, staff and families greet the cast with loud cheers and claps before they settle down to enjoy the musical.

Thankfully, everything runs smoothly and we breeze through the songs and dialogues without a hitch. I feel incredibly accomplished and proud of my students when we bow at the end and as the curtains close I call for a group hug.

"You guys were amazing tonight and I'm so proud of every one of you! Well done!" I smile widely as they all cheer in response.

We take some pictures before venturing into the hall where everybody is gathered. I make my way through the crowd and greet numerous parents before bumping into the rest of the teachers. Principal Davis finds me too and they all congratulate me on the success of the show.

"That was brilliant, Ella! I'm so impressed that you were able to put on a musical of such high quality within a short amount of time, well done!" He exclaims and I thank him with a big smile.

We eventually break away to chat with the parents and get some refreshments. I also try and search for the Jackson family as I'm talking to people about the musical and the students. I just about manage to catch sight of Michelle and Evan before I excuse myself and start making my way towards them. But before I can reach them a student intercepts me.

"Miss White, there's someone wanting to talk to you out front." Amber, one of my students, informs me.

"Oh...did they say who they are?" I wonder in curiosity.

"A man called Ryder." She replies before leaning in excitedly. "He has a bouquet of flowers, miss!"

I laugh softly before nodding. "Alright, I'll go and see. Enjoy your night, you did great!"

"Thank you!" She beams before catching up to her friends.

I make my way outside to where it's considerably quieter with not a person in sight. My heart races in anticipation and excitement when I spot a figure of a man by a car I recognize as Ryder's. Ever since we worked things out he's been very affectionate and thoughtful. We've gone on some dates and he officially asked me to be his girlfriend two weeks ago. I smile as I make my way up to him and spot the bouquet of flowers that he's holding. How sweet! I think to myself.

"Ryder?" I whisper before placing my hand on his arm and turning him around.

But to my horror it isn't him.

My eyes widen when I'm greeted by the sight of Seth Morgan holding a bouquet of red roses in his hands. I stumble back but to prevent me from running away he grips onto my hand and slams me against the car. My poor heart is racing so fast in fright and as I open my mouth with the intention of screaming for help he covers it tightly.

"Now, now, Isabella." He starts condescendingly before throwing the flowers to the ground so that he can hold me in place. "I told you I'd find you, didn't I?"

I instantly start thrashing in his hold when he pulls me off the car and forces me to walk forward. His hand hold both of mine behind my back in a vice like grip while the other covers my mouth to the point where I struggle to breathe through just my nose.