26

Chapter Twenty-Six - Home

I'm discharged from the hospital two days later. I meet and thank the sheriff and some of the police offers for their help this morning before we head out. They reassured me that Seth is going to remain behind bars until our hearing which fills me with immense relief.

Me, Roman and Ryder make our way to the rental car in the parking lot. I thank Ryder as he helps me into the backseat and I buckle up before laying my leg across the rest of the seats. Both brothers get in the front and Roman drives off towards the airport. I'm excited to finally go back home and away from Wisconsin. Sadly, this place has brought me nothing but bad memories.

But as I'm staring out at the passing scenery I realize that we're not headed to the airport halfway through our journey. I perk up in interest and gasp quietly when Roman turns into the familiar neighborhood. My neighborhood. Instantly, tears brim my eyes as I spot the last house.

"The police searched Seth's home and found everything he took from you such as the documents of your property, the keys and more." Ryder explains as we pull up to the driveway.

My home was just as I had left it except for the un-cared lawn and flowers. Roman parks and turns to me with the keys and I take them with a grateful smile. Both help me out of the car and I limp up to the two-story house with large bay windows and a wraparound porch. Making my way up the steps carefully with Ryder and Roman supporting me I take the key out of my pocket and with a deep breath I unlock the door.

A small smile lifts my lips as I move from room to room. There are pictures everywhere and the entire house still has that warm vibe because of mom's decorating. Every memory I've made in this house flashes through my mind and I find myself repeatedly wiping away happy tears. I finally have my home back.

I walk into my bedroom and chuckle at how messy I had left it...like always. My queen-sized bed has blankets and pillows strewn across it haphazardly as I remember I got out of bed in a rush the morning I was taken. My laptop and books rest on my desk along with a few ornaments that I let my fingertips trail over.

"How cute." I hear and turn to see Ryder looking around my bedroom in amusement from the threshold.

I blush fiercely at how girly everything looks and the number of posters I never took down from the walls. He chuckles as he steps inside and takes a seat on my bed. I sit down beside him with a content sigh and I can't bring myself to stop looking around my room in joy.

"Are you going to move back here?" He asks quietly and I turn to him with a thoughtful frown.

"No." I shake my head with a sad smile. "Wisconsin doesn't feel like home anymore."

"Where's home for you then?"

"Wherever you are." I murmur gently and watch his eyes light up with adoration.

He grins boyishly and I laugh at his expression before his lips come crashing down on mine. I turn towards him and wind my arms around his neck as he deepens the kiss. His lips coax mine open gently before our tongues dance together. But our moment is quickly interrupted by the eldest Jackson brother who we had forgotten about.

"Oh, come on! There's a time and place for that you two!" Roman groans in annoyance before turning and walking straight back downstairs.

Ryder and I can't help but laugh loudly before he helps me up and I pack some stuff that I want to bring back with me. He helps me bring the boxes downstairs and as I move onto my parent's room Roman comes up to help. I smile sheepishly at him and he only rolls his eyes playfully in response before grabbing a cardboard box for me to put the items in.