Chapter 5

It is strange to awaken to the sound of a chime instead of the sun peaking over the horizon. Every morning, at exactly 8 AM, a melodic and high-pitched chime rings to tell us the remainder of the compound would be starting its day. I fail to see why we must be involved considering we are practically prisoners here. 

Reid tells us it's to keep us on schedule but I see no reason to fall into line with a schedule of daily life. Wouldn't it all soon change? Isn't that why we were here? 

Trapped within these walls makes me feel increasingly guilty, this is what I did to him, this is what I sentenced him to. At least I had the kindness to allow him to see the light of day, in this windowless room, time feels endless though the days pass surprisingly quickly.

Good on his word, Tonic had brought us books so that we could read up on the history that we had missed in our jump forward in time. To my dismay, they were in English, not Romanian. While my spoken English was growing by leaps and bounds, my written English was in a sorry state, and reading it was a feat on its own. 

My self-taught speech didn't lend much use to reading the complex text. 

Thankfully, I do have a translator, and taking advantage of that came with its own perks. Trapped to the bed, for the most part, he became my impromptu tutor. I don't know why it surprised me to find he was a natural-born teacher, though he could get frustrated with my poor memory and my easily distracted nature. 

He eased me through the words without much judgment which almost disappointed me. I expected more banter though I suppose he must be trying to learn as well. My painfully slow pace leads to quick absorption and a painfully bored lycan.

I cuddle up to his side, the top half of the bed raised up to resemble a chair. "Knight, darling." 

"K-night. It says it plain as day." 

"The K is silent."

"That is so ridiculous." I sigh. "Why is English so difficult?" 

He shrugs half-heartedly, coughing briefly. "Wouldn't be much fun if it was easy, now would it?"

I huff as I squint my eyes at him, reaching up to touch his forehead. "You're hot."

"Thanks." So now he chooses to be sarcastic?

"No, you're really hot, Randy." I fumble with the remote on the bed and try not to get to frustrated with his amused expression as the bed moves up and down. "Oh shut up." I press the mouth-looking button. "Artifice. Tell me the temperature on subject Verando Mercer." 

Getting used to technology proved to be the greatest challenge, beyond the strange food and tense occupants. It served to provide me with a good deal of anxiety as I have reoccurring flashbacks about our people's reliance on slaves when our bodies became too weak to do for ourselves.

 Our room was capable of way more than I could ever fathom, at the mere request, Artifice was capable of everything from answering questions to delivering meals and outfits. The namesake was enough to give make me reluctant to use it but, for times like this, it did come in handy.

"Hello, Nicolas. I'd be happy to tell a story to Verando Mercer. Which would you enjoy hearing-"

"Ah!! Stop!" I growl and slam the book shut as I sit up. His chuckling only fuels my anger and it pleases me when he clutches his ribs and coughs. "Serves you right. I'm concerned about you. This... voice.. is a damned racist!" 

"Not everyone can appreciate a good accent." He seems too tame, too low-key. It hasn't bothered him at all that it's been days and we've been locked in this small space. The wall evaporates and for a moment I think that we've been freed but as I walk over, I notice its glass and my spirits fall slightly.