Chapter 24

"Verando." I touch his back as I near the bed. The ability this man had to sleep the day away at the first opportunity never ceased to amaze me. In our time in Dezna, he was an early riser and when he did sleep, it was for only a few hours before he was running off again. 

Oftentimes, I felt he would just lay with me as a formality rather than actually use the bed. But, given a lack of responsibility or the assurance that his presence wasn't needed, he would happily sprawl across the bed and sleep until near lunchtime. 

I chuckle as I brush his hair back, "Randy. Really, you sleep like the dead." 

My days were busier now, organizing the creation of this cloud. He yawns in protest of my attempts, burrowing into the blankets to hide from me. 

"Go away." He grumbles, I know Marcello had been tough on him but it was nice to see he was finally able to find a routine that challenged his current fitness. Since the battle with my sister ended, the need for the extreme regime of a lycan leader was in small demand. We had spent so much of our time on the road, traveling from city to city, country to country. 

He had been able to relax, over time slowing down at a fitness level that most normal men would be thrilled to wield. Yet, it was challenging for him, difficult for him to accept the leaner muscle tone and less definition. While I hardly noticed that he carried a minimal percentage more body fat than when I had first met him, I could tell by the way he hesitated and twisted at every mirror that it bothered him. 

"Can you take a break from Marcello today and help me?" I trail my finger down his back.

"No." His tone is noncommittal, an attempt to get back to sleep. 

I roll my eyes, folding one leg over the other as I sit on the edge of the bed. "One would get jealous if they looked into how much time you two have been spending together lately. Are you letting Tonic and Reid play?" 

It's enough to make him appear from under the depths of the comforter, with offense, and irritation on his face. 

"It's not a bloody game of 'house,' Nic." 

I make a sound of acknowledgment, raising my eyebrows at the seriousness of this matter.

 "What can I do for his Highness today?" Flopping back onto his back, he runs a hand through his hair as he realizes that he won't be getting any more sleep. 

I think it over, losing my nerve in a sense of what I was truly hoping to ask him. I want his help, I want to remind him of his promise that he'd do this with me and I want to remind him that I need him. Pulling my lips into a thin line, I glance towards the dark comforter, trailing my fingers lazily over the pattern. 

"Are you happy?" 

The look of concern crosses his face and I'm quick to clarify. 

"Being 'retired'. Do you miss it? Running a pack, the guard, having things to do?" 

Propping himself up on his elbow, I have his full attention as those eyes bore into me to decipher my hidden meaning. 

"Can I not worry about your happiness? You aren't exactly known for being a ray of sunshine, I've been worried that this lack of community and barren wasteland is weighing on you. I know that you and Marisol didn't end on good terms the last time you spoke, I'm just checking in- besides, I miss you."

That familiar suspicion crawls onto his face as he considers my questions. "It has its perks and weaknesses." He allows. 

He isn't sharing today, he's on to me. Every morning, I've pretty much run out of the room to get to Rhea and Tyler, in an attempt to make arrangements for the day soon to come. But, I need more, I need experience, I need him.