Chapter 41 (M)

I feel an arm around me as he holds me back from doing something I might regret. My anger is not enough to truly comprehend my disgust at seeing her. 

"Did you not learn your lesson when we had our last encounter? When I told you to stay the fuck away from him?" I don't even sound like myself; my voice has dropped an octave as I try to keep the conversation between us.

She smiles sweetly at me, folding her hands in front of herself. Her dress sparkles as she sways like a schoolgirl, so pleased with herself. My hands curl into fists, and Verando tightens his grip on me. 

"Nikki-"

"Don't. Call me. That." I feel like I'm fighting against iron as I try and take a step. A simple glare isn't enough, she needs to be struck down, she needs to be buried under this building and left to rot as she should have been back in our time. My body feels hot like I'm on fire as I fight to keep control of myself.

The building begins to tremble, a minor wiggle that causes the lights to flicker and people to squeal in surprise. Rats, all of them, if they would follow such a deplorable creature. 

"You are the reason the world is as it is, you vile, disgusting, cowardly-"

"Gentlemen!" The announcer greets with a broad grin. "Mistress, I see you're getting acquainted with Mr.Mercer and his... fiance, was it?"

"Husband." I seeth. 

She chuckles, taunting me, tilting her head so innocently as she gently fixes her bangs. She's toying with me for she knows I can not touch her here. 

"Yes, I've met Daddy before." She winks at us, and the announcer flushes, rapidly looking back and forth between the two as if trying to put it together. "It's a sex thing..." 

He coughs, choking on his startle. Verando rolls his eyes at her, not nearly as offended as I am.

 "Sorry, you know how blunt I can be..." She tries to explain, and he waves her off.

The man pats his forehead with a handkerchief, flustered with her honesty. "No, Mistress, you're fine. I er... wow. Daddy, huh? Yer an interesting man there, Mr.Mercer." 

Verando scoffs, not daring to release me. "I assure you, it's a curse rather than a blessing. I'm actually not feeling well, would it be alright if we postponed this gathering?" All eyes turn to Red who is now obligated to be understanding, for she is supposed to be the hands of God. 

I envision what she'd look like if she were all wet; if I could explode the sprinklers and melt the clumped-on makeup that hides her true rat face. 

Pouting, Red reaches over and touches his arm. Where he's calm and collected, I fight against his grasp to insert myself between them. Had he forgotten that she beat him? That she toyed with him for her own amusement when he didn't even want to be alive? The marks on his body were burned into my mind, how could I forget the broken being that stood before me at her own hand? 

"If you must go, I understand, Daddy. Just.. name the place and the time, it's money for my own function, I'm not inclined to take it back, and you've so generously donated your talents. Singing that lovely song, I could just eat. You. Up." She runs her tongue over her red lipstick and the announcer looks like he could burst from the embarrassment. 

A smirk curls onto his lips, she's digging her own grave with her behavior. From all I had heard, she was supposed to be the epitome of good and her behavior was less than the holy spirit she claimed to be. I imagine this man was watching his chances of ever having such a prestigious man play at his venue again slip right through his fingers.