Chapter 49

We shuffled along in silence. I sat on Verando's back as Marisol led us through the back streets towards the city. While we had been occupying the group for more than a few hours figuring out their general names and identities, it was decided that the cover of darkness was necessary and best with their dark coat colors. 

Risking being seen was not an option, as a capture would mean they would suffer the same fate as our two leaders. From the back of the wolf, it almost brings me back to our days of riding around Dezna. I run my fingers through his fur, and while my body seems to think it should be shivering, the warmth he emits is quite lovely, and I find I'm warm enough despite the breeze. 

How is this going to work? How are we going to do this?

As if he senses my discomfort, I spy him glancing at me over his shoulder and reaching up to ruffle his ears with my fingers. "I'm just lost in thought. You feel different without the shoulder injury. More even." 

I try to distract myself from the pregnant creature guiding us. Pregnant with his child, but she didn't want to be? Or did she? Was it as it was with Penelope where she thought it was a fair trade, our lives were complicated but- I exhale. 

He didn't love Penelope, but he did love Marisol, maybe even more than he loved me in some sense. 

"Do you remember France?" He asks idly. I snort.

"I try to pretend you didn't set up all those tours to keep me busy. But yes, I do. Fondly, sometimes. It was a beautiful city. If it hadn't been for those tours, I never would have found you in time." I muse, thinking back to the cobblestone streets and the lamp tours, the dresses, and the clothes, so different from today's time of jumpsuits and loose-fitting garments. 

I take in the city's back streets and can't help but compare it to that of my home, the mountain range, and the trees surrounded by wildlife and nature. When I inhale, I'm only greeted with the distant smell of exhaust and perhaps a nearby restaurant. There's nothing beautiful about these back streets, ducking under low-hanging clotheslines and skirting through shabby alleyways.

 "It's quite different. This place doesn't quite have the charm..."

Marisol chuckles lightly, slowing down to walk beside us. "I think it's beautiful here. People look like they might not starve to death." She looks towards the skies, stars, and moonlight peering down on us through the draped clothes and fire escapes. She bumps Verando with her shoulder, smiling as best she can. "We would have loved stairs like these when we were kids. Would have made getting on the roof easier."

He makes an appreciative sound, wagging his tail one time. "You just stood on me, if you remember correctly. I think both places over their charm, to be free was quite nice though. Even if it was shortlived." 

"You're free now." I remind him.

He sighs. "Not in the same manner, but yes, this is freer than I was, that is for certain. Wouldn't it be nice to be out of the city?" 

"The city does have its conveniences." I sigh, remembering all the walking and our lack of horses though we did have vehicles in today's time. 

Marisol seems to nod in agreement. 

"It's been nice. Had a good business till you bastards showed up."

Verando rolls his eyes, "I don't want to be 'convenienced', I want to be alive." His muzzle tilts up to see Marisol's point of view, tilting his head slightly to the side as we take in the strange shadows and shapes the clothes create in the shining light. The more I look, I feel that there is a sense of simplicity about it that could be endearing.