Chapter 58 ( End)

It's as if history is truly on repeat as I walk with Grayson through the abandoned town. Opting to leave Marisol with the healer to work on her and stave off her contractions, I figure it's a bit of insurance for later. 

I trace my gaze over the dead buildings, dim with a lack of light on the upper levels, and yet the shops are bustling with a natural glow and life. Hundreds of people are here, yet they all move in complete silence. There are no cars; everyone is on foot, with the occasional beast wandering amongst them. 

Grayson points out as much as he can, and I pull him every which way in my excitement. My royal training fails me as I enter the book store and I feel my eyes are wet. I wipe them with the back of my hands at the familiar smell of real books, handwritten books that smell dusty yet hint at leather, and robust and satisfying paper. 

I track my fingers over each and every title I can reach, some even look familiar in a distant memory. The shopkeeper, an aged man, rushes towards me angrily and then freezes when he sees me. 

"Oh my gods." he breathes, dropping to his knees to bow his head. "Your Majesty. Honor the Good King." 

I blink rapidly, am I that recognizable? Glancing towards Grayson, he points at his head to indicate my hair. Maybe it's also the fact I'm relatively short, and not many people are as tan as a medieval Romanian. My accent was foreign, nobody in this time sounded like me.

"Rise. I don't go by that title anymore. It's just Nicolas in today's time." I offer him a smile and he clutches his chest, for a moment I fear I've killed him and Grayson helps him to his chair. 

He sits, taking a puff on a pipe and I can smell the dank aroma of herbs. "You are just as humble as the titles foretold, a true advocate for our people and struck down when you had only just begun. My my my, what you would have accomplished young man. But, there is a god and he is merciful." 

He smiles so broadly, his rounded cheeks almost shield his eyes. My body retracts, warning me not to get close to sweet older people in meager stores. They tend to not live very long. I hug myself, feeling naked as he talks about this incredible person that I feel as though I've left behind. 

"King Nicolas... I thought I'd never live to see the day when magic users walked amongst humans once more. Now that you're here before me, I can't help but think that time might be upon us. Perhaps my daughter and her children will see true freedom, as you might have known it on our tours through our mother country."

Forcing a small smile, I do my best to hold up my posture to his standards. It isn't often I'm expected to present myself as my breeding. "You flatter me, kind sir. I must do well to remind you that those on my tours, unfortunately, did not live long lives, I hope you've all taken this into account with your welcoming nature. With freedom comes a hefty price and as we know, that price is often blood." 

The man nods though Grayson frowns. 

"Ohhhh, I know all about your tours young man." 

He marches over to a shelf and pulls off a book to lay it gingerly on the counter. Puffing on his pipe, he opens it and points to a painting, and I'm startled to see it's of me. 

"Mid 1800s, your coronation, for starters. But, my personal favorite." Flipping back, he tracks with his finger. "Prince Nicolas marches on Ziduri, Prince Nicolas defeats Lord Tar-rock against a crystal dragon with a meer water beast. Minimal casualties, gaining the company of Prince Har-rock." 

The battle was so fresh in my mind it was as if it were yesterday, I almost wondered if Grayson was electrocuting me again. The pain, the discomfort of remembering who we lost on that damned tour.  We were there to rescue Randy, to save his life, for he was about to burn at the stake, but that wasn't in the book.