Chapter 46

As the howl reaches my ears, I jump up from my sitting position and encourage Tyler to do the same. My eyes are trained on the small trio that seems to be taking way too much interest in the foggy horizon. I'm caught between my want to get the heck out of here and the desire to see if there might be more to this world than the slow extinction of life.

There must be a balance, nothing good can come from the loss of mythical beings. "Tyler, are there wolves in this time?"

"No. Wolves died out a couple of hundred years ago; we don't even have many dogs. I guess they went with the lycan." Standing, I try to fix my eyes to see what they're seeing. Noses quivering, their coats bristling, and I hear a low growl rumble in Marisol's chest. "Do you think it's more lycans?"

I don't have to think about it; by the reaction of our meager 'pack,' I know exactly what high alert looks like. My most significant concern is intentions, "Or a trap," I allow.

Thinking back to our time in the woods, surrounded by the infected, I can't help but wish for the light that Penelope so easily conjured. How did anyone get anything done in this day and age? Technology replaced people's natural abilities, but as we found, technology couldn't be trusted.

Our family was built on these beings that didn't even exist in this time. "Damn it.. what I wouldn't give for a fire mage."

What I wouldn't give for loyalty, for scouts and sentries, for able bodies that were capable and trained.

Over the roar of the ocean, it's hard to hear anything. The waves are still angered by the storm, crashing and pulling at the wet sand as if it were trying to gain ground. It drowns out my senses; I can't take it anymore, the constant slashing and rumbling. I extend my hand, pushing the curling energy back into the vastness, and with an exhale, the water stills.

It expels in ripples, reaching out into the vast expanse as it calms the fierce waves. The ocean becomes quiet, soothed. The howl looms once more in the distance, ringing my ears, confirming that our guests are much closer than I anticipated.

We had to play this carefully; if they could manufacture cats, surely they could do the same with wolves? Faux lycans would give them an in into our lives in a more intimate way yet there was no way of knowing that we would accept them. Perhaps this was a test.

"We need to go investigate." I insist.

Tyler's gaze meets me with the first hint of rebellion that I'd seen from the young Solomonari. Since I met him, he followed my lead and yet here, he stood with the rigidity of reluctance. Good, question me because sometimes I don't know what's right anymore. If he was ever going to take my place, he must become strong just as I had to.

"We should go home, not towards unknown creatures." Tyler's voice is calm, decided.

The thought had crossed my mind for a moment, but these assets were too valuable to go unexplored. We ran towards danger, we were always at the heart of peril because we were the ones who answered the call. "They could be useful or they could be dangerous; it's our job to protect this world and that starts with those who can't protect themselves. Those beings include lycans. Now. You can hide here, but those girls are going to follow wherever he goes." My gaze settles on Verando, who had yet to allow his gaze to falter.

Marisol smirks in response and Helen looks like she would prefer to just leave without us. Her eyes search as if she were the captive in this situation.

"And do I need to remind you that lycans are illegal?" Tyler presses, setting his jaw.

We're interrupted by the shapes forming over the rock face, and I quickly extend my hand to Tyler to remain still. "Tell that to them. Don't get caught." Our small pack huddles closer to Verando as he stands so still, it's almost as if he's a statue. I watch his nose quiver, inhale their scent, and I dare not approach him.