Chapter 6

I feel like we're the slow hand on a clock as the day's tick by. Other hands get to move freely, making multiple passes and contributing while our time in this room seems endless. It would appear as though we aren't sick, though pneumonia caused by the harbor water did end up occurring much to both of our disappointments. 

It leaves him zapped of his energy and tired, though, as we near the end of the three weeks, his strength is beginning to return. I find myself grateful to not have to manage this on my own, given his fever and his need for rest, I don't know how we would have handled it in our time period. 

This sort of thing did happen at times to those in the court and commoners, but I seemed to recall it could quickly turn rather deadly. Just another reason to be grateful, I suppose.

He's off his fluids and mobile today, the best he's looked since we've arrived though I wonder how much of it is a brave face considering we're supposed to be getting out of lockdown today. "Are you sure you're feeling ok?" I ask him from beyond the bathroom door; I can hear him scrubbing his teeth for the second time this morning.

 Some parts of breakfast had not been to his liking, so cue the obsession with being clean. "Will you have any gums left when you're done with this?" Truthfully, I think he is just overly satisfied with the capability of modern-day toothbrushes compared to ours. I sigh, telling myself to give him a break. 

Getting him to eat had been a chore and frankly, worrisome.

The food here was much different in some ways, though it had the same fruits and vegetables, the meat was not the same taste as what we were used to. Bland, almost, in some way. Perhaps a bit artificial. I pick at the strawberries in the bowl on the counter, enjoying the free access to as much fruit as I'd like. While it might not have the rich, freshly picked, taste, it was plentiful.

 As I suck the juice from the oversized berry, I'm reminded of my appetite for other things and quietly scold myself. How long had it been since I'd gone weeks without him? As if on cue, he comes out of the bathroom, and I take him in.

"Are you enjoying your strawberries?" I delight in his accent but make a feeble attempt at offense and finish it off. He's dawned a pair of jeans, a strange piece of clothing that offered no support and yet was still uncomfortably snug in some places. The dense material was restricting for something that appeared to be so loose in areas. I help him with his belt as an excuse to be close to him that wasn't tending to his health.

"I am. These look good on you." Hooking my fingers in his belt loops, I yank him towards me with one firm pull. My eyes skirt over his torso, and I'm relieved to see the majority of the bruising and lash marks are gone, though there is the occasional faint circle from the cigar burns. I curse that man all over again, brushing the back of my hand over the spattering of hair on his navel. "Promise me you will start eating more?"

"I haven't needed the calories." He comments, taking my hands in his to kiss my fingers. "Maybe don't be so handsy when they're watching, yeah?"

I tilt my head. "Watching?"

"Since we arrived. They think they're clever, but I can hear them on the other side of that glass." Hmm. That's amusing. I slide my hands out of his and dive for his pants once more, causing him to recoil to slip out of my grasp. I playfully smack his ass at the opportunity and chuckle at the bewildered expression I receive. "Not very regal of you, is it? Aren't you suppose to be a King?"

I shrug. "I'm on vacation. I also think it's really hot when people watch." 

He moves to the other side of the small table that stands at only knee height, putting space between us.