Lust, Lace and Love - Jane Austen-esque fic.

"Girls, I have come to note you are both reaching an age which you should be making a match with an eligible man. It has come to my knowledge that a man and his sister have moved into Lennox Hall. The young lady I believe is of a similar age to yourselves and well it is not inconceivable that he might take an interest in one of you." Faye wrinkled her nose slightly as Claire sighed slightly placing the book she was reading down. "Mama, do you not think it somewhat common to parade ourselves without invitation?" She ventured as Faye bit her lower lip slightly. Her younger sister was somewhat shyer than herself and would want to find someway of avoiding having to parade herself. "Not at all, you and Faye can simply call on the young lady and offer your companionship." Their mother said as Faye looked imploringly to their father hoping he would take up their plight. "Papa?"

"I'm sorry Faye, I wish the situation was less dire but you are not a daft girl, nor you Clara. We have no male heir and as such when I pass this house and the money I have will go to my nearest male relative."
"Who?" Claire ventured as their father Angus sighed.
"My cousin Andrew." He said as his wife let out a small cough.
"The man is an insufferable, cruel man wanting to take this house from us if you pass before me. Leave us destitute and headed for the poor house. You see my girls you must endeavour to make good marriages else there is no hope for any of us." Their mother said as she dabbed her eyes with a lacy handkerchief, her two daughters guilted into promising to visit the new occupants of the grand house. 

"Ian must we have every member of the town visit us in claims of wanting to extend their friendship. I mean it's clear that half of them are here to meet you or I sent by social-climbing parents. How you even entertained that insufferable girl earlier is beyond me." Elizabeth said as she sat at the piano gently playing some chords. "You know they're not all bad besides surely you would like someone else to speak to." Ian said as he looked over to where his friend William was studying a book with a smirk on his face. "I think Lizzie's quite right, it is blatant how the middle-aged women are preening their daughters, sending them in your direction. Willing them to marry you." He said as Ian sighed.
"Well for now they are pushing them in my direction, they do not know of your vast fortune my friend. I'll soon be out of favour with the ladies."

"Here you should wear this bonnet Faye. It compliments your dress." Claire said as Faye chewed her lip slightly. "Do you honestly believe that a man with vast fortune would be interested in either of us hmm? We are socially much lower in the class divisions. They'll simply laugh at us." Faye said as Claire shook her head slightly.
"Mother asked us to try. Please Faye, don't make me go on my own." Claire said as she knew her elder sister wouldn't make her do something so horrific. "Besides the young lady may be a good companion to have, I heard they have a large ballroom and vast collection of musical instruments. Perhaps we shall make such good friends that you can show your talent of music."
"And you can sing." Faye said as Claire smiled. The girls had both been blessed with a love of music and they knew their father took great pride that when it came to dances and balls that his daughters were the ones who gained all the attention. Faye on the pianoforte and providing soft harmonies as Claire would sing the sweet melodies. They had unfortunately been present at far too many balls where they were witness to out of tune and pitch performances. 

"Lord Watkins, Lady Elizabeth may I present Miss Faye Richards and Miss Claire Richards." The butler stated as two young ladies made their way into the parlour. Elizabeth looked up and found herself looking at two golden haired girls. "I apologise for interrupting your afternoon but my sister and I, well we heard that you had taken over occupancy and well we hoped perhaps the young Miss should like to come for luncheon one afternoon and perhaps we could take a stroll into the town." Faye said as Claire nodded.
"We have a dressmaker who has some pretty designs and a millenary who creates such lovely hats." Claire stated excitedly as Elizabeth smiled. They were not making simpering comments to Ian and actually seemed like they wanted to be friends. She looked to William who seemed to have been distracted from the game of chess he was playing with Ian. 

"Are you quite sure we cannot persuade you to stay for dinner? Cook always makes plenty, it's only cold meats, cheeses, and some pie." Ian said as the two girls went to put on their jackets. "Thank you for your kind offer but we should return home, for one thing it looks as if it is due to downpour soon." Faye noted as Elizabeth made Claire promise they would return soon. They had been the first people she felt weren't been false in their extension of friendship. "Let me find my groomsman, he can take you ladies home in the carriage." Ian said as William looked to the elder sister who seemed to be looking in awe at the large pianoforte that sat in the hallway. "Do you play?" He asked as she nodded.
"A little."
"She's been modest, she's quite accomplished. Though our mother doesn't see it as desirable. She thinks Faye needs to pay more attention to needlework and similar wifely duties. She's worried Faye has notions of Music Halls and such." Claire said as Ian chuckled slightly.
"Claire come along we really should go, I'm fairly sure we have extended our welcome far more than desired." Faye said as she went to head to the door.
"Look it has started to rain heavily, please let my carriage take you home." Ian said as Elizabeth was admiring Claire's hat. "You will return soon will you not. Brother we should hold a ball to announce our move into the town."
"A ball?" Claire said excitedly.
"Indeed, we have this huge ballroom it would be a vast shame to leave it to waste." Ian said with mirth. He liked the two young ladies company and sensed that if they had friends of similar mannerisms then he would at least have company of good-natured and interesting individuals. "Come for luncheon tomorrow and we shall discuss a date for the party and you can tell me who I should extend the invitation to." Elizabeth said as the carriage pulled up on the steps of the large house.