Chapter 18

The Great Hall was guarded by a pair of looming dark mahogany doors, intricately carved with legends of Alfred's family's histroy and their deeds. They swung open as Merlin approach, still hand in hand with Arthur, his mate. He smiled as they walked into the hall, it was great and it took his breath from his lungs for a moment. The hall was the largest inside thing Merlib had seen in all his years - the grand ceiling hung more that twenty feet above their heads, a large wrought iron and golden chandelier hung down from it, peppered with an incountatbel number of edlightfully burning candles. Long tables lined that hall, each decorously clad in violet purple table-clothes, embroidered with the embolem of the house of Alfred's family- two eagles soaring grandly thorugh the sky.

At the head of the hall on a slightly raised stage was the head table, a grand chair at its centre, the back was carved in a complicated pattern like the door, a pair of grand eagles' wings. Next to this was a slightly smaller chair that was less grand, and around that as caved small snakes and flowers. Alfred's sigal hung in grand lavender and lilac draps from the ceiling, the eagle theme repeated on this again in silver and golden threads the sprkled in the candle light. Huge candles sat aon all of the tables, most of the guests were already sat at these, the bnobles of Northumberia, awaiting the guests of honour. Gwaine and Will and Lancelot and Gwen were on one of the long tables, tacking in the luxury of their surroundings. Next to Gwaine sat an empty chair, and there was nother next to the smaller grand chair and Lancelot.

Merlin and Arthur were amazed and stood in the doorway marvelling at such grandyear before them. Suddenly a heady hand clapped on Arthur shoulder and he jumped turning around.

"Prince Arthur, sit here by me and Rachel! We have much to duscuss!" Alfred boomed and genstured to a seat next to him and btween him and his daughter. She was already in her seat looking shy and Nervous. Arthur would have liked to sit by Merlin, but as he met his rave ahired lovers azure eyes he smiled, and he knew he had to be polite to their host in order to insure his cooperation duing their negotiations. He settled in his seat and smiled politely at Rachel, who blushed and tugged at her sleeve.

The first course was served and Princess Rachel didn't say anything, so Arthut thought he shoudl make the effort.

"So...being a princess must be interesting?" He tried, feeling stupid.

"No." Shs said very quietly, so Arthur barely herd her. She took a bite of the soup starter and a hunk of bread.

"Oh." He said, and silence fell again- amplified by the noise and merriment of the hall.

"This is a very grand feast" said Arthur, feelig again very boring because he could not think of a single thing to say to this princess, because when has he ever needers to talk to a princess befroe? as the next course of stuff chicken was brought out by the serviing staff.

"Yes. It is," said Rachel quietly in reply, still looking down at her food. Arthur sighed internally and cast his thoughts around for something to say.

"I like your chair," he started tentatively, "the snakes are very pretty."

"Thank you" She mumbled into her plate.

"Is it-" after a stretch ed out pause, but was cut off my Rachel sudenly talking slightly loudly at her dinner.

"Do you like snakes?" She asked all in a rush without looking up.

"Uhm, sorry?" Arthur stammered taken aback.

"Snakes do you like snakes?" She said and glanced up at him quickely then away again, her cheek s flaming red and clashing with her lilac and pink sinklen dress.