Chapter 33

The day was crisp as Merlin's breath huffed out in clouds as he practiced with a small broadsword, parry against Gwaine under the watchful eye of Leon. He had deferred to Arthur's nagging when his magic had left him and finally concended that he need to learn fighting when all he had to rely on was his wits and physical strenth; both atributes which Arthur had made loving but disparinging comments about.

"Again!" instructed Leon, as Merlin swirled his sword through the air clashing against Gwaine's where he stood with an exuraberant grin on his face.

"Close Merlin!" he laughed, blocking another jab with a flick of his Irish wrist. Merlin grinned wryly in response and parried forwards again.

A dozen thrusts seemed to be coming at the same time, but he countered with a downwards spin to the left and then punched forward with a quick flick of his arm. Merlin swiped across the air, side stepping the blade with ease. They were hot, after hours of training, even in the wintery weather, but Gwaine was no match, not for Merlin's blazing blades. After his only his third punch Merlin was able to get a hit on the his friend bringing him to his knees. Gwaine swiped another swipe at Merlin's legs, but he was parried away effortlessly by a quick and low slahsh from the Warlock.

"I didn't know you had that in you" said the prince from where he watched, smiling broadly at his bonded. Merlin swiped a hand across his sweaty eyes.

"You should know by now, I know how to handle a sword." Merlin replied, joking quickly and smile easy as Arthur padded towards him, lithe and meaningful.

"You're very cute, you and your hidden depths." Arthur muttered, just for Merlin's ears, before tweaking his nose playfully and moving in for a kiss. As he did so, his expression changed into a wicked smilk and, instead of pulling Merlin in, he pulled the sword from Merlin's hand, whirled him around, so the wizard's back was pressed to his front, he held the sword's dull side gently to the pale collum of Merlin's throat.

"But you need to learn to keep your guard up" he whipsered into Merlin's ear.

"Arthur!" A voice cried across the paddock and they looked up to see Will running towards them full pelt over the grass.

"Later" he murmered into Merlins ear, releasing him with a breif kiss on his neck and a promise.

"You'd better mean it" Merlin grumbled and Will came to a panting stop before them.

"It's.....it's.....Stuart....he's.....back" Will gasped between breaths, bent over with his hands on his knees to catch his bath.

"Back from Northumbria? What about Andrew?" Arthur asked brusquely of the man before them.

"He's...coming...with the...army" Will wheezed shaking his head.

"Northumbria's on the move. We have to go" Merlin grabbed Arthurs arm exitment buzzing through him. Arthur grinned at him in vitality.

"I'll race you" He took off running across the field, sword still in hand, and Merlin chased ater him, laughing.

"Oi!" Will cried and staggered into a jog back the way he came after the laughing couple.

Stuart stood on the hillside under a tree, talking aminatedly to Percival. The knight's large muscles were free as he stood in a sleeveless shirt, no protection against the cold except their own bulk. Merlin and Arthur smiled at each other as they saw the knight's relaxed attitude.

"They're chatting! We're about to go to war and they're having a chat!" Merlin exclaimed.

"If the professionals not worried, then we know it's good neeews." Arthur singsonged to Merlin, who muttered back in agreement.