Chapter 22

He felt a blush form in his already anger-flushed face: as the cat hadn't been wearing clothes, neither was Merlin.

"You! The cat! You were the cat!! you were...you're there! Arthur splutter frantically pointintg between the cat still sprawled on the bed, and Merlin, very naked, sprawled across a chair, one eyebrow raised and smirk spread across his face. Arthur choked a scream of frustration.

"Will you take this seriously! I am mad at you. You didn't trust me! you don't get out of this by being....being...handsome and...naked!" he spluttered, resvolve not cracking.

"It's not you I don't trust it's Rachel and her dad! They poisoned Gwaine because they thought he was you!"

"No, that can't be true" Arthur shook his head "King Alfred would neverdo that...this is too important and....and....will you put some clothes on!" Arthur snapped and Merlin stood angrily and yanked his trousers on over his slim legs.

"I did what I had to to protect you and to look after you! Do you WANT Rachel to be your soulmate?!" He yellded glaring at the blonde man.

"No! of course not! How you could you say that?!" Arthur screamed back, gesticulating.

"How could I!! How could you?! 'Ooh Rachel look at this plant, ooh Rachel pay attention to me!'"

"I was just trying to be nice!" shouted Arthur, with his voice, cracking through the air like a whip.

"You were flirting!!" acused Merlin, mouth and eyes matched in distaste and hurt.

"I-" They were interrupted by a soft knoct at the chamber door. Merlin went to answer it, and on the other side stood Rachel, dressed in a long lilac gown. He scowled.

"Oh Arthur!! Your SOULMATE is here!!" He yelled and walked off leaving the door open. Rachel stepped intot he room gently.

"I hope I'm not disturbing..." she said and trailed off looking nervouse and blushing at Merlin's bare chet. Arthur rolled his eyes at Merlin who was slumped ina chair scowly rudely at the floor.

"Of course not. Whats up my lady?" Arthur asked with a stiff smile.

"I...came to say sorry" Rache looked down and rubbed at her arm nervously. Merlin was intrigued, and Arthur frowned gently.

"For what?" he asked. Rachel pulled up her sleave and turned her arm so he could hee where her soulmark was. But there was nothing there.

"For lying..." She said quitely. Arthur was shocked.

"I knew it!" Merlin yelleed standing up.

"How could you?!" Arthur asked

"M-my dad made me, I d-don't have a soulmate so he thought it it would be you then we'd get m-married and he could rulle Camlot...but he didn't know you were already b-bonded!" Rachel stammered, her cheeks were bright red.

"Why are oyu telling us? Don't you want the los prince to be your soulmate?" Merlin said sacrastically, rolling his eyes.

"No! It's not right and I didn't wantt o lie anymore" She insisted snivlling, tear welling in her eyes as she looked at Merlin willing him to understand - she had no chouce.

"Now what? Your dad will never let us use his armies now!" Arthur sighed and rubbed hi had, ruffling his hair. Rachel looked t him helplessly, while Merlin watched with a scowl on his faace.

"I heard him talking he's going to try and give you a love potion agin" Rachel announced nervously.

"I knew it!" Merlin threw his hands up and turned away. He slumped in hi chair again.