Chapter 27

Overmorrow they departed for Merlin's native soil, bags packed and heart's heavy with tht knowledge of what they would be asking of the people there – normal people, villagers and farmers, who would not ever have expected a war to involve them. Arthur comforted himself witht the knowledge that they would at least be safe from harm as long as he and the Northumbrian army heald the element of surprise.

Gaius rode with them, heartened by the rest even if only for a day, and excited to see his old friend in Merlin's mother, Hunith. As the day wore on Ealdor came into view between the trees - wood and stone buildings flittering between the remaining yelow leaves of early winter trees until they could see the people there as well, farmers mowing and planting there fields and people doing shores and chatting with old friends.

Arthur took a moment to pause and look over the scene. Change was coming to Eador, a big change. He regretted what he was asking of these people. He felt a presense next to him; as everyone else roe on Merlin stopped next to him and laid a hand on his arm, storking his hand down until it reached Merlin's and they held each other, squeezling breif reassurance.

"Are you kay?" he asked, a small puzzled smile on his face. Arthur could help the answering warm smile, as the clouds parted and a weak winter sun lit on his face an filled him with a warmth and hope for the fututre.

"Yes" he answered truthefully "Yes, I'm good" he smiled beautifically and Arthur felt his heart flip over his chest. He smiled back.

"Then I'll race you!" Merlin said with a wide grin splitting his face as he kicked his horse on kicking up a flurry of leaves behind him.

"Oi!" Arthur cried laughing and followed him, thundering down the path behind him, their laughs mingling together in the chill air, Shadwodancer's black hooves pouncing on the muddy soil as she trailed Brambles's dour bown ones.

They giggled and laughed into the village, villagers giving them bemusied looks and they laughed, untill with a triumphant shout Merlin pulled his horse up next to his mother's house. He leapt from his horse and had only travelled a few steps forwards, when Hunith appeared around the corner, looking pale and tired but the light of motherhood danced in her eyes and her wide and brilliant smile cut across her tired features in a way that reminded Arthur of his Merlin, and realise it was true that the apple does not fall far of the tree.

"Merlin!" she cried. Merlin swung himself into her arms and hugged his mother close.

"I've missed you, darling child." his mother said. Sobbing a little and looking at Merlin's face.

"I've missed you to, Mum." said Merlin, unwrapping his arms form around her, his voice cracking on his last word. He could tell throught the appreance that life was more difficult in Ealdor, as winter approached the villagers always took more care to store food and ration, but aroubd the village everyhing appeared just a little more grey and brown than usual.

"We have to help them, Arthur," said Merlin, with a wiry arm around his mothers shoulder and a small frown marring his forehead as his sharp eyes critically surveyed the schene.

"Arthur?" his mother questioned, with a knowing smirk, "Not Dirk?"

Merlin gasped.

"You knew!" he gasped.

Hunith giggled.

"Not until I saw you together. Arthur, you look so much like your mother" she smiled, lying a hand on her son in laws cheek as heat came over it and the redness of his blood filled his cheeks.

"There's someone you have to meet!" Merlin exclaimed. Gesturing at Gwaine arrived on Rachel the horse, Gaius sitting behind him, he helped the old man off the mount and smiled at his mother. She gasped, voiceless in her shock and joy.