Chapter 23

"MY lord!" Arthur boomed as he stode into the throne roome, skirted by his men; Merlin was beside him, then Will, Gwaine, Lancelot, Gwen, and Elyan, behind. Alfred was on he raised satge and looked up, Rachel was there also but at the back, shily standing in the shadowns with her ladies.

"My love!" Gwaine gassped, upon seeing where Rachel stood, and bowed deeply, his kind brown eyes fixed on her green ones, never leaving her as he paid his respect, he smiled besottledly at the sight of her, as his heart and stomach felt as though they switched places and swirmed in his insides. Rachel blushed bright red at his attentions he was giving her. Elyan, who was stood next to Gwaine, rolled his eyes and elbowed his friend in the ribs. They were here for more important matters.

Alfred looked up in surprise at Arthur entrance - he started to smile but stopped when he saw the cold rage in Arythurs eyes and the rumblind thunder in his voice. He was not in love: the love potion hadn't worked again; glowered at Gwaine who was still making cow eyes to the princess and cleared his regal throat.

"Prince Arthur, what can I do for you!" He said cautiously, standing from his chair, arms out in friendship. Arthur stopped stood in front of him and glared.

"I demand an answer. Have i your armies or not?" He said, jaw held high and blue eyes imperious.

"My lord" Alfred said in a slinky tone "these things take time. Many aspects have to be considered. I cannot just give you my allegiance without properly looking into it fist" He said confidently ,sitting back down with a smirk on his face. Merling glowered. Gwaine smiled dopily.

"You are keeping him here under false pretences! You tried to posion him and we have proof!" blarked Merlin, voice speeding through the air like a bullet.

"How dare you accuse me! What proof have you got?" Alfred leaped to his feet, apoplexic with rage, his face burned crimson.

"Him!" Merlin yelled pointing at Gwaine, whom was wiggling his fingers at Rachel in a way he probably thought was flirty.

"Do you darre to claim that that rouge's affection's for my sweet daughter could only come from love poisoning someone with potion in the ear?" Alfred boomed, stepping close to Merlin and towering above him. Merlin smirked calmly.

"I don't remember meantioning it was EAR love poison." He remarked, coolly. There was silence. Arthur snorted into his hand and Merlin watched happily as the blood drained from alfred's face at being caught out. Alfrid bluttered in indignation.

"You will get my armies once you marry my daughter! If Albion is to be untied, my Rachel will be her queen! That is my condition!" Alrfed bellowed his voice filling the echoy chamber loudly. Arthur's face frowned sternly and he opened his mouth, but before he could make his stern reply, he heard the familiar smooth clang of a sword being drawn from a scabbard, the metallic sound out of place in the cold stone hall.

"On guard, you retch! If you want the fair Rachel for your wife, you will have to fight me first! For I cannot stand her and allow my dearhearted belovèd to be ensconced in an unloved and unwanted marriage with this blagard!" Gwaine cried, waving his rapier sharp sword at Arthur through the air with a powerful swish. Merlin rolled his eyes. Arthur stood back, he didn't want to fight his friend, and he uderstood he wasn't responsible for his actions - ubt Arthur still didn't want to get hurt. Merlin laid a calming hand on his chest and looked him in the eyes.

"You're not fighting him" Merlin said in a calm and stern voice. Arthur deflated under his calming presence.

"I will unman him as he would unman me by marrying my most darling princess!" screamed Gwaine, lunging for the Prince, but finding himself cut short by the strong grips of both Lancelot and Will.