Chapter 30

"MORDERD?" exclaimed Merlin. His voice rang with shock at the emergement of the Druid youth from the dark shadows of the trees around them.

"Emrys. Arthur." Mordred saud curtly with a bow of his dark curled head.

"Whateve are you doing here? Is the camp okay?" Arthur asked in concern. Merlin's blue eyes shone wide an bright and both visably deflated in relaxation when Mordred confirmed that the Druid camp was still safe.

"We are safe, Prince" he explaned "We came to pledge ourselfs. War is coming. We know that. We will stand with you. We will march with you and stand by your side: your servants." he said, bowing stiffly again more deeply.

Merlin and Arthur glanced at each other. Merlin's eyes glowing in barely conatined violent excitement.

"The honour is ours." Arthur answered gradualy "We know you are powerful allies and I am humbled that you serve me." Merlin smiled, pride in his eye.

"Come, you must sit and eat with us, you must be tired" Gwen invited with a smile to the tables stil laid on with food.

"Why have you changed your robes? We thought you could be Camelot guards!" he said lighting the sabre mood, with a cheeky glint in his smiling eyes.

"These are our ceremonial war clothes. These fibres are enchanted with threads stronger than steal and lighter than gossimer, with the warmth of wool. And the protect rom magic attacks as well" Mordred explained gesturing to his red and black garmet.

The trio sat at the head table by Gwen.

"My lady,I am Mordred, envoy to the Druids" said Mordred with a smile. Gwen smiled in return kindly.

"It is an honour for you to be here." said Gwen with a dipping curtesy. "we chose to have blessings of the old religion today." she explained egsturing around them to the celebrations they had.

"Then let me bestow upon you another" replied Mordred, annoiting her forehead with nearby wine. "May you be blessed many times, with love for all your lives long. The godess shall ease your pain into happiness also." he said stearnly. Gwen grinned and held Lancelot's hand, who came to sat beside her.

"Mordred was just pledging the Druds' allieagence to us" said Arthur conversationally to Gwen and her new husband, to explain his presents.

"Arthur!" said Gwen scandallised punching her brother on the shoulder lightly "we said no wartalk at the wedding! I swear if all little brothers are this bad we'd be best not having lot's of children!" she girped coolly. Arthur smiled at her apologetically.

"You're right, I am sorry; dear siter. Today is you're day and nothing shall spoil it, especally clotpole younger brothers." he said in gracious humour. Gwen smiled at him. Mordred's smile returned to his face.

"You can make it up to me with a dance!" she exlaimed standing and offering Arthur her hand "and then I expect one from your friend and your mate." she finished.

"You might want to skip Merlin if you value your toes" Merlin heard Arthur said as he walked off to Dance with his sister.

"Oi!" He cried after them laughing in protest.

As Merlin and Mordred sat together the darkness couldn't help but creep in a little, shrouding them in it's blanket. Merlin sighed and looked out of the corner of his eyes towards the young precocious Druid. Mordred looked sad and worried.

"A storm is gathering Emrys." he said prophetically in his stoec voice.

"A tempest could not shake my faith in Arthur. I love him and our cause is just. We shall whether whatever storm may come together." Merlin said, his outward calm not betraying the fear that raged like an ocean in his stomach. He smiled and stood.