Chapter Seven - Ambush

After comparing notes with the Storm Hawk Clan, Starling returned to the Atmos Police Station where Commissioner Harrier and another detective were waiting outside.

Starling: What's going on here Commissioner?

Harrier: I need you and Detective Carver to investigate a disturbance in this address.

Harrier then hands Starling a note with the address. Upon reading it, Starling was confused.

Starling: This address is deep in Raptor Territory.

Carver: An anonymous tip came to the station and told us something big is going down.

Starling: Why me Commissioner? I thought you didn't want me anywhere near Raptor Territory.

Harrier: Believe me I don't. But Carver says it's urgent we intercept and all other detectives are on other assignments.

Starling found the circumstances of this strange, but she wasn't about to bust more members of the Raptor Gang.

Starling: You can count on me Commissioner. Whatever's going down, I'll find out.

Harrier: Just be careful Starling. Something's not right about this. Watch your back out there. I don't want to lose another good detective.

After that, Starling got in Carver's police car and he began driving to the address. The ride there was a silent one. When they got to the address, Starling surveyed the area and saw nothing but an empty alleyway.

Starling: What the hell? There's no one....

Before Starling could finish her sentence, she heard the cocking of a pistol and felt the cold steel of a pistol barrel pushing against her back. 

Starling: How long Carver? How long have you been in Cyclonis's pockets?

Carver: I didn't want to do this Starling, but you should've left well enough alone. 

Soon, Repton and a group of Raptor gang memebers surrounded the car. Repton himself tapped the window in from of Starling with his revolver. 

Repton: Why thank you Detective Carver. Bring her out. 

Carver then got Starling out of the car while keeping his gun trained on Starling. Upon seeing Repton, rage fueled her as she stared into the eyes of the man who killed her partner. 

Starling: What's your game Repton? 

Repton: This is a simple job. Nothing personal. My client wants me to shut you up. 

Starling: So Cyclonis brought her loyal dog to do it? Why am I not surprised?

Repton: Like I said, there's nothing personal between me and you. I'll make your death quick and painless. 

Not planning to go down without a fight, Starling headbutts Carver. She then disarms him and holds him as a human shield. 

Starling: Lower your weapons! 

Without hesitation, Repton shoots Carver in the head with his revolver. This left Starling in a dangerous position as she was surrounded by Repton and his Raptors. 

Repton: Not bad Detective. If I were any other man, you might've gotten me. I'm sure Cyclonis will buy another detective. 

Starling: You're gonna pay for what you did to my partner, you son of a bitch! 

Repton: We'll see. Let's see what fight she has in her boys!

The Raptors soon crowded around her. She was boxed in with no way out. But she wasn't about to go down without a fight.

Starling: You think I'm scared of you spineless fucking cowards?! I'll take you all on! Who's up first?! 

Raptor Thug: Look at that boss! She's got spirit! 

Repton: Let's have some fun with this one! 

As the Raptors were about to attack, Finn swooped down and lets out an loud and powerful roar that frightened the Raptors.

Raptor Thug: What the fuck?! It's one of them monsters!

Repton: Then we kill it! But first.....

Repton aims his pistol and shoots at Starling, but Finn shields Starling and ends up getting shot in the shoulder.

Finn: Argh!

Finn then lunged at Repton and throws him against a wall.

Raptor Thug: Kill it!

The Raptor thugs began attacking Finn. Despite his injury, Finn fought the Raptors with all his might. Starling assisted him in the fighting.

Starling: You're hurt!

Finn: Don't worry about me! Let's focus on these bastards!

Finn unleashes his fury on the Raptors as Starling takes down a few Raptors. During the fight, Repton gets up and sees the writing on the wall.

Repton: (Looks like the detective has some friends! There's too much heat!) FALL BACK! FALL BACK!

Repton and a few other Raptors retreated out of the alleyway while Finn and Starling fight off the remaining Raptors. When the fighting was over, Starling rushed to the injured Finn.

Starling: Thanks for the help. I thought you didn't like humans.

Finn: Let's just say I had some time to reflect. I haven't had a fight like that for a long time.

Starling then checks the wound on Finn's shoulder. Seeing the exit wound relieved her.

Starling: Looks like the bullet passed through cleanly. You should be fine.

Finn: This is nothing but a scratch.

Starling then tears off a slave from one of the unconscious Raptor's jacket. After that, she tightly wrapped Finn's shoulder, causing minor pain for the Gargoyle.

Starling: There. That should hold. You should get back to the hideout. The Sun will be up anytime now.

Finn: What about you?

Starling: I'll contact the commissioner. He should probably know about what happened.

Finn: Then we'll see each other again when night falls.

Finn then launched himself from the ground and began flying back to the hideout of the Storm Hawk Clan. As Starling contacted Commissioner Harrier, she was left disturbed by the fact that Cyclonis had people in the Atmos Police Department in her pockets.