Chapter Seventeen - Savior

As Aerrow struggled against Dark Ace, Starling continued to chase Ravess and Snipe through the abandoned warehouse. Eventually, the chase leads to the rooftop.

Snipe: Goddamn it! Where the fuck is that helicopter?!

As Snipe said this, Ravess took aim with her Bolt Action Sniper Rifle and fired on Starling just as she turned a corner. Starling was able to get behind cover and narrowly miss the shot.

Snipe: You're a persistent little cop, aren't you?

Starling: There's nowhere for you two to run! I'm taking you both in!

At this point, Snipe laughed as he reloaded his Light Machine Gun. He then proceeds to fire on Starling's position while he laughs loudly. 

Snipe: COME ON, COP! STICK YOUR HEAD OUT SO I CAN BLOW IT OFF! 

Snipe continues to laugh while he and Ravess fire on Starling's position. Starling soon found herself in a dangerous situation. 

Starling: (Damn! I'm pinned down! I need to think of something quick!)

Starling began firing her pistol from cover, but the shots miss as Ravess and Snipe duck behind cover to reload. Starling then sees her chance and begins firing at the criminal siblings. 

Ravess: This area's too hot! We need to get out of here!

Snipe: No shit! That cop isn't making things easier on us! 

Snip then fires on Starling's position while Ravess reloads her Bolt Action Sniper Rifle. A shootout then occurs between Starling and the duo of Ravess and Snipe. They had the detective outgunned. Despite this, Starling was able to keep cool under fire. Suddenly, a helicopter flies by. 

Helicopter Pilot: Get in!

Seeing an opportunity, Ravess and Snipe jump into the helicopter. As the helicopter begins to make it's escape, Starling rushes out of cover and takes aim with her pistol. Before she could take her shot, she hears fighting below her. She looks down to see Aerrow fighting against Dark Ace. She watched as Dark Ace held Aerrow by the throat. 

Dark Ace: Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you! Your end is now, Aerrow!

It was here that Starling was given a choice. She could either fire at Dark Ace and save Aerrow or try to take down the helicopter carrying Ravess and Snipe. Whatever choice she made would allow her to lose an opportunity. Taking down the helicopter would allow her to capture Ravess and Snipe, but that force her to allow Aerrow to die. At this point, Starling made her choice. 

Starling: Damn it all. 

Starling took aim with her pistol and took the shot. Meanwhile, Dark Ace continued to strangle Aerrow. As Aerrow began to lose consciousness, a shot rang out and a bullet strikes Dark Ace in the back. The shot causes Dark Ace to scream in pain, forcing him to let go of Aerrow. As Aerrow catches his breath, he sees Starling with a smoking gun. 

Dark Ace: Filthy human!

Before Dark Ace could attack Starling, Aerrow got up and attacked Dark Ace. With that, the fight resumed. 

Aerrow: Your treachery ends tonight! I won't allow you to harm another innocent!

As Dark Ace and Aerrow fought, Lark Cyclonis could see that the rest of the Storm Hawks were starting to wake up. 

Cyclonis: Mr. Ulric. I believe it's time we take our leave. 

Ulric: Agreed. 

As the rest of the Storm Hawks started to gain consciousness, Cyclonis and Ulric made their escape. When the Storm Hawks regained consciousness, Dark Ace found himself surrounded by the Storm Hawk Clan. 

Aerrow: It's over, Dark Ace.

As the Storm Hawks surrounded Dark Ace, the rogue Gargoyle quickly realized that this battle couldn't be won. 

Dark Ace: Very well, Aerrow. I shall allow you and your clan this victory. I have underestimated you. Once I saw you as my equal. Once I saw you as my brother. Now I see you as my hated enemy. 

Aerrow: You're not going anywhere, Dark Ace. It's over. You have lost. 

Despite his apparent defeat, Dark Ace showed no sign of concern. In fact, Dark Ace smiled. 

Dark Ace: We shall see, Aerrow. 

Dark Ace then pulls out two grenades and throws them. Aerrow and the Storm Hawks took cover as Dark Ace made his escape. The grenades then explode, leaving a small crater in it's place. As the smoke clears, Aerrow looks to the sky and sees Dark Ace nowhere in sight. 

Aerrow: (Till next time, Dark Ace.)

Aerrow then walks over to a bruised Piper. Without hesitation, the two lovers embrace one another.

Aerrow: Piper....I'm sorry that I couldn't protect you from this....

Piper: You have nothing to be sorry about, my love. There was no way you could've known this would happen. 

Starling: Looks like Cyclonis got away. 

Finn: We'll find him. And when we do, he'll be sorry that he messed with us! 

Starling: We better get out of here. That firefight is gonna attract a lot of attention and the last thing we need is Gargoyles on the evening news. 

With that, Starling and the Storm Hawk Clan left the abandoned warehouse before the authorities could arrive. Though they were unable to bring down Cyclonis or Dark Ace, they were able to rescue Piper.