Chapter Eleven - An Old Enemy

As night fell once more, the Storm Hawk Clan awaited for Starling's arrival. While they waited, Piper decided to explore the city. As she explored the city, she was in awe of the towering skyscrapers and the neon lights. Despite the threat posed by Cyclonia Enterprises, Piper was still in awe of the sight. 

Piper: Such a wonderful sight! This is amazing!

Piper became lost in the city's beauty. Despite this, Piper was aware of the dangers that lie within the city. As she glided through the night sky, she saw a group of Talon Troopers harassing a group of people. 

Male Citizen: Hey what's the big idea?!

Talon Captain: Put your hands against the wall and submit yourselves for inspection.

Female Citizen: You can't do this! We have rights!

Talon Captain: This is for your own protection. Now follow our instructions or you will all be arrested. 

The two Talons then grabbed the two citizens and pushed them against the wall. Piper watched this from a nearby rooftop. Seeing this egregious display of injustice made her sick to her stomach. Unable to stand by and watch, Piper swooped down from the rooftops and confronted the Talons.

Piper: Step away from the people!

Piper then lets out a roar to let the Talons know that she meant business. As the Talons were focused on Piper, the two citizens fled the scene.

Talon Trooper: What the fuck is that thing?!

Talon Captain: Keep your focus men! Kill it!

As the Talons fired on Piper with their assault rifles, Piper used her superhuman speed to dodge the bullets. She then attacks the Talons with ballet style movement. The Talons didn't stand a chance as they were taken down. When she was done, she smiled. 

Piper: Feels like old times. I just wished there wasn't so much....injustice. 

???: Piper......

The voice caught Piper off guard as she looked around her. Not seeing anyone in the ground, she looked above her and saw a shadowy figure looming over her. The figure was then illuminated by a flash of lightning. Piper's heart stopped as she recognized the figure. 

Piper: Ace.....Dark Ace....

Dark Ace: It's been a long time Piper. 

Piper: How are you.....

Dark Ace: I could ask you the same question, but we both know why we're here. It seems old Arygyn's curse had a loophole. 

Piper felt her body freeze as Dark Ace approached her. He towered over her. He looked around to see if the other Gargoyles were nearby, but couldn't find anyone. 

Dark Ace: Odd. I didn't think you'd stray far from Aerrow's side. I was hoping he would be here. He and I have some unfinished business. 

Piper felt her breath stop. She knew of how dangerous he was. Seeing him standing before her made her skin crawl. Dark Ace looked upon her with a wicked smile. 

Dark Ace: It seems our stone slumber has not dulled your beauty in the slightest. 

Piper: Save it! My heart belongs to Aerrow and Aerrow only!

Dark Ace: I expected as much. Your loyalty for Aerrow has always been admirable. Foolish and delusional, but still admirable. 

Piper: Why are you here?

Dark Ace: The one they call Lark Cyclonis sent me here to hunt you and whatever remains of the Storm Hawk Clan. Imagine my joy when I found out you all were alive. 

Piper: Cyclonis is using her as she tried to use us. 

Dark Ace: That doesn't matter to me. I have my own plans for this place. But for now, I'll play her games. 

Without hesitation, Piper attempts to throw a punch a Dark Ace, but Dark Ace catches it with one hand and uses the other to grab Piper by the neck. 

Dark Ace: I see you still hold the fire of a Gargoyle. But that very fire won't save you from what I'm about to do to you. 

Dark Ace then slams Piper to the ground and begins attacking her. Piper was soon able to recover from the rogue Gargoyle's attacks. 

Piper: Is that all you got?!

Dark Ace: As a matter of fact, no. That was a warm up. I'll be sure to let you know when the real fight begins. 

At that point, Piper realized that she was no match for Dark Ace. He was bigger and more aggressive than her as well as he had more combat experience than her. 

Piper: (There's no way I can take on Dark Ace in a head on fight! I need to get back to the others and warn them!)

Piper attempts to retreat, but Dark Ace anticipated this and grabs her by her heels before she could glide away.

Dark Ace: You're not going anywhere Piper! 

Dark Ace then slams her to the ground and begins to viciously attack her. Piper was unable to defend herself from Dark Ace's relentless attacks. He was simply too much for her to handle. Soon enough, Piper was beaten and bloodied from the fight while drifting in and out of conscienceless. 

Dark Ace: Rest well Piper. 

Dark Ace then proceeds to knock her out. After this, Dark Ace found himself in a favorable position as he grabbed the unconscious Piper. 

Dark Ace: I have your mate Aerrow. Now I wait for you and your Clan. 

Dark Ace then glides out of area with the unconscious Piper. In this moment, Dark Ace had the perfect bait to lure Aerrow and the Storm Hawks out.