Chapter Ten - Face To Face

Inside the main building of Cyclonia Enterprises, Starling enters the building. She approached the secretary's desk.

Secretary: What can I do for you today?

Starling: Detective Starling of the APD. I'm here for my appointment with Lark Cyclonis.

Secretary: One moment please.

The secretary then gets on the phone at her desk. As she does, Starling looks around and sees the armed Talons patrolling the building. Her instincts told her something was wrong.

Secretary: Ms Cyclonis will see you on now. One of our personal will take you to her office.

One of the armed Talons then led Starling to Cyclonis's office which was in the top floor above the castle. Starling then entered the office where Cyclonis and Ulric were waiting.

Ulric: You may resume your patrol, corporal.

The Talon then exits the office. Starling then pulls up a chair and sits down.

Cyclonis: Detective Starling. A pleasure to make your acquaintance once more.

Starling: I'd like to ask you a few questions. I trust that won't be an issue?

Cyclonis: Not at all. Anything to help the Atmosia Police Department.

Starling thought about all the questions she could ask. The first thing that came up was the attack on the press conference.

Starling: Why did those men attack your press conference?

Cyclonis: I doubt it was anything grand. More than likely they were doing it for simple greed.

Starling: And the lack of armed guards that night?

Ulric: They were dismissed. We felt there was no threat.

Starling: Well it was a good thing you had your new security detail with you when they broke in. A lot people could've died. 

Cyclonis: The Talons were more than equipped to deal with the likes of common thugs. The military training that the Talons received far exceeded my expectations. 

Starling: You must be really proud of your personal army. 

Cyclonis: Indeed I am. The Talons have the potential to become a force of good. Their military training would make them a nightmare to the criminal element. 

Starling: Does that include monsters that go bump in the night?

When Starling asked that, the room fell silent. Cyclonis and Ulric knew that the she could be referring to the Gargoyles, but had no way of knowing if Starling knew about them or their connection to the Gargoyles. 

Cyclonis: Monsters you say? I was not aware there were such things in this city.

Starling: A Raptor thug was talking about how he got jumped by some winged monster. Apparently it had large wings and sharp claws. It was massive yet it was fast unlike anything they've ever seen. Care to explain?

Cyclonis: The members of the Raptor gang are a superstitious lot. They brought their superstitions when they came here from New Orleans. 

Starling: I'm aware of their Cajun heritage. But I studied Cajun folklore extensively and there's nothing that mentions about a monster of this caliber. 

Cyclonis quickly realized that the Detective knew more than she was letting on. She was rather impressed with Starling's intelligence. 

Cyclonis: Is there a point to this, Detective?

Starling: It certainly can't be a coincidence. First armed thugs conveniently barge into your press conference as you're ready to demonstrate your personal army. Not to mention sightings of so called monsters start appearing after you build that castle in your tower. 

Ulric: What are you implying, Detective? Are you implying that Ms Cyclonis orchestrated a hit on her own press conference to organize a demonstration of the Talons? There are laws against slander. And that's not covering this preposterous theory about winged monsters of the night. 

Cyclonis: There is no need for this, Mr. Ulric. I'm sure the Detective meant nothing by it. She was just simply stating a theory. A fantastical theory to be sure, but a theory nonetheless. What else have you heard about these monsters?

Starling: Nothing really. Just that these monsters are super strong and super fast. It seems that they target only criminals and they only come at night. Other than that, there's really nothing more. 

In that moment, Cyclonis quickly deduced that the Storm Hawk Clan was deviating from her original plan for them. It seemed that they were targeting criminal syndicates connected with her. Despite this, Cyclonis remained calm. 

Cyclonis: Will that be all?

Starling: That was about all I could ask. Thank you for your time. 

Cyclonis: It was my pleasure. Be sure to give Commissioner Harrier my regards. 

Starling: We'll see. 

Starling then left the office, knowing that Cyclonis was connected with the Gargoyles. When Starling left the building, Ulric spoke with Cyclonis. 

Ulric: Do you think the Detective knows about the Gargoyles?

Cyclonis: I's certainly a possibility. We have no way of knowing for now. The Detective has proven to be an unexpected wild card in this game. Perhaps a wild card that could prove useful if manipulated properly. 

Ulric: And the Gargolyes?

Cyclonis: Based on the Detective's words, it would seem that the Gargoyles have in effect declared war on me. I believe this is an opportune moment to see if Dark Ace can live up to his word. Inform Ravess and Snipe to keep the Talons on high alert. Also inform Repton that he is to keep his eyes on the Detective. 

Ulric: Understood, Ms Cyclonis. I shall get on that, immediately. 

As Ulric relayed Cyclonis's orders, Cyclonis would reflect on her meeting with Starling. Cyclonis would access the threat of the Detective as well as see how she could be manipulated to her favor.