FOUR.

ALEX.

The food was heavenly, the atmosphere lively. It's like when we decided to start over, everything changed.

When our food came, he thought it was a good idea to do an exchange. "I wanted to see what you usually order," was his reasoning. "Anyway, I ordered this for you to try. It's really good." And with that, he took my tray of food and placed it in front of himself. That's how I ended up eating kimchi fried rice instead of my usual barbecued chicken.

I noticed that Nathan was someone that could actually talk, like carry a conversation. Why is he not like this at work and is always being all nagging and shit?

He asked about why my father opened a photography business, if I was planning to take over his business someday, the things I liked to do on a weekend and my major. He was very surprised when I said Early Childhood.

"Isn't this course for girls?" he asked, seemingly very intrigued that a guy like me was pursuing this course.

"That's a stereotype that we have. There are guys in this industry too you know," I said as I stuffed another spoonful of kimchi fried rice into my mouth. He wasn't lying when he said the food was really good.

"Hmmm, but what do you do? Change diapers and feed them milk?"

I gave him that oh-no-you-did-not-just-say-that look. "We do not just change diapers. We educate the future of our generation, ensure that they grow up will all the skills they need to face the world. Did you know statistics show that those who entered preschool will do better academically and socially than those who didn't? We teach them how to interact with their frie- hey!"

I was stopped by Nathan stuffing chicken into my mouth. I was not pleased that I was interrupted but I also saw that he had a big wide smile on his face.

Shit, did my heart just skip a beat?

"Alright alright, I get it. I can see why you are taking this course now."

"Get that smile off your face. I look like an idiot now for rambling..." I crossed my arms and pouted.

"Well, at least you have something that you are passionate about. I don't think I can say the same," he said with a hint of sadness in his voice.

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"Well, I started my company the minute I graduated university, thought that was a huge gamble in itself. I didn't even know if I was going to make it. I chose to do a degree in business management because I needed it, not because I wanted to pursue it exactly." He said while stirring his drink. "I missed out on a lot in my time. I don't even know what it feels like to be young."

"Oh, come on," I waved my hands in the air. "You're only how old? 28? That's still young okay."

"Yeah, but still. I missed out on a lot of things."

"Alright, name it. What did the multimillionaire Nathan Chia miss out on?"

"For starters, I have never dated anyone."

I almost spat out my drink. "Are you kidding me right now? How is it that you, out of all people, have never dated a single soul? I'm sure there must be a queue of people waiting in line just to meet you."

He shrugged. "I guess I just never found the right one, and I have no idea how to bring anyone out on a date." He paused for a while before continuing. "Maybe you could teach me?"

"Me? You want me to teach you how to date someone?" I raised my eyebrow at him. Is he hearing what he's saying right now? Someone please call the authorities. Nathan Chia has just lost his mind.

"Well, yeah. I don't supposed anyone will be willing, and we will be living with each other for the foreseeable future. I don't see what's the problem here."

Let me internalize whatever he just said. Nathan Chia has never dated anyone and needs me (his contractual spouse) to teach him how to date. Alright?

I breathed in and out. "I guess I can help," I took another sip of my Korean barley before placing the cup down. Damn it, I'm too nice.

"First of all, you need to find someone to ask out on a date, duh. It would be nice if you know that the person won't refuse you, that's a good start." I could see that he was making mental notes in his head, so I decided to continue. "Some common topics between the both you is always a plus, or the atmosphere may be a little awkward. It would be nice if you know what the person likes beforehand."

He nodded his head and proceeded to whip out his phone. After sometime of looking at it, he looked back up at me and asked, "Are you free tomorrow?"

"Yeah, it's a Saturday so I'm not needed in the office. Unless you need me to be there?" Please say you don't need me to work.

"Nope, you've got the day off," he stated.

"Then..."

"I'm asking you out on a date." Wait, what?