NINE.

Warning: Coarse language.

NATHAN.

"The displays are situated along the river, so we will have to walk along the riverfront," he said while looking at the map.

"Lead the way," I answered the kid who was looking at the map excitedly.

We saw many displays put up just for the festival. They were all quite creative, I must say. It attracted quite the crowd.

Alex was busy snapping away with his camera. The whole time, he was smiling behind the lens and that put a smile on his face.

Though, my heart ached a little to see that he was still keeping his distance. It's like we are a thousand miles apart even though he's next to me.

"I have to show this to Vanessa when I'm back in school next week. I'm gonna make her regret that she refused to come along with me," he said while looking through the photos he took.

"What about you?" I asked.

"What about me?" He answered, face all confused.

"Did you regret coming with me?" Because I'm starting to beat myself over my actions a few months ago.

"I don't see any reason for regrets here? Stop spouting nonsense will you?" he said with a frown.

I nodded my head. What was I asking? Clearly I didn't think that question through.

"Come on, this display is pretty and there aren't many people here," he said, attempting to change the topic.

"Stand in the middle and let me take a photo of you. I'm pretty confident in my photography skills," he said proudly as he pointed towards the light display behind me. I stood right where he told me to and looked straight at the camera.

All I could think of when standing there was how I stared indirectly into his eyes. Could he see that I was nervous? Nervous because I really wanted to hold his hand.

Would he let me though?

Snap. "You look amazing," he commented while looking at the photo he just took.

"Let me see," I said as I leaned in and looked at the screen of the camera.

I was so close to him that I could smell the cologne that he used. He was rambling on about the lights and how he took it in a smaller aperture or something but I wasn't listening.

I examined his face and saw that he had long lashes. His chocolate-brown eyes were glistening, reflecting the light that was coming from the screen. His lips were full and it looked... kissable.

Oh no, I was done for.

"-now it's perfect. Look, the photo is much clearer than when I took it," he said as he looked up.

We were now face-to-face. Cue every rom-com music that you know.

My heart was beating fast, hands were getting clammy. I think I'm going to break out in cold sweat from the tension between us. Could he tell how I was feeling right now?