TWENTY.

ALEX.

"When is he waking up?? Why is he not waking up?" he was clearly in distress. While here I was, feeling an odd sense of calmness.

I wanted to tell him that everything will be okay, but sleepiness is creeping up on me.

He'll be fine if I sleep first right?
——————

"You got him into this! There's no way we're continuing with this! It's off!" the voice commanded.

What's off? The lights? 

My eyelids weighed like elephants. I wanted to open them but couldn't. The voices in the room were getting more distant.
——————

My head throbbed, body was stiff and aching as it laid on an uncomfortable surface. The Sahara desert invaded my throat. My eyelids felt like they have been glued shut and I had difficulty getting them open.

A groan left my lips. That's when I heard the beeping of a machine. The smell of chemicals slamming me in the face all strong and pungent.

I tried to open my eyes, only getting them forced shut by the blinding lights in the room. I blinked a few times, adjusting to the new-found brightness. And why are there two ceiling lights stuck so closely together?

"Fuck you, Alex! It's about time you woke up!"

I turned my head to the side and watched the world spin a little, only to see Vanessa in a sobbing hot mess.

"Shut up, you're too loud," I complained, voice hoarse from the lack of moisture. "And clean your face. Your eyeliner is making you look like a panda."

"Don't give me your shitty remarks." She wiped her face with the tissue that she grabbed from the side. "You have no idea how worried we were! You were fucking kidnapped!"

I furrowed my eyebrows, eyes closed shut once more. No longer light-sensitive, but Vanessa's-high-pitched-voice-sensitive. "Again, you're too loud."

I took a deep breath in and out. "For how long was I out?"

"A few days," Vanessa answered between her sobs. "They kept you induced so that you could heal up a little."

"Then stop crying like I was in a coma. I'm alive and kicking." Someone, please drag the drama queen out of the room.

I tried to lift my arm, only to realize that it wasn't moving due to the massive amount of bandages keeping me in place. The stinging pain was unbearable. Oh right, I was butchered up pretty badly.

I attempted to clench my hands, only to be greeted with an immediate sense of discomfort coursing through the right. My skin was being plastered in place, something stuck in me.

"What happened?"

Vanessa gave me the rundown on the entire ordeal. I listened as much as I could with my temples pounding, trying to tolerate her animated voice.

The drug dealers were rounded up in an ambush. I was lying on the floor half dead. Nathan saved my sorry ass. A woman was also rescued from the warehouse that I was held captive.

"She was so fucking high on drugs when they found her. She was the one that helped Nathan find you, leaking your whereabouts and all. It almost cost her her life. Being badly beaten up and hung from chains by the wrist."

Did that bitch help me? 

"At first, they thought that she couldn't be trusted, but they had no leads on your whereabouts. I guess you could say they took a leap of faith and went for it. Thank god they found you in the end," Vanessa grabbed onto my arm. 

I see. That bitch's conscience was eating her so she decided to be nice in her life for once. Speaking of which..

"Where's Nathan?"

Vanessa's face did a one-eighty. "About that.."

"Where is he?" I asked, a little more impatiently this time.

She placed her hand on my arm and looked at me, expression apologetic.

"You see.."

—————

Needles were ripped out. Blankets were tossed onto the floor. The machine stopped reading the vitals. The world spun, door forced open. Will power was taking over. In all honesty, I was about to puke, overwhelmed from the surge in movement.

"Sir! Get back here!" The wheels rolling on the floor echoed the once silent hallways. Nurses yelling at me. The entire ICU ward was sent to a frenzy.

"Alex!" Vanessa hollered! "Stop it! You're bleeding!" She was right, the white bandages were now bright red. The stitches that held my wounds together probably tore open but I didn't care.

I needed to get to Nathan.

"OUT OF MY WAY!" I swung the metal stand that my IV drips were hung on at the nurses that blocked me, stumbling a little between my steps. "MOVE!"

"Alex! Calm down!" She grabbed the metal stand with one hand and hooked my waist with the other. "You're in no condition to go anywhere!"

"I need to find Nathan! I'm not letting him leave me like this!" I cried out, desperate. No fucking way we're ending like this.

My adrenaline rush was running out and I could feel my body going limp. Dark spots were forming, blocking my vision. My head started to spin like I was on the tea-cup ride at the amusement park. 

I think I'm going to puke.

A loud crash from the metal stand rang through the corridor as I fell to the ground. People were carrying my almost lifeless body up from the cold hard ground, moving me back to my ward.

"Stop being so reckless! You just came back from hell. Are you sure you want to go back again?!"

The nurses laid me down onto my bed and started to frantically attach me back onto all the tubes that I deemed unnecessary. Or maybe I did need them. 

"Miss, please step outside. We need to get him cleaned up." The nurses started rolling in their supplies.

"I know you don't want things to go down like this, but technically your contract isn't over. You didn't sign any termination agreement with him. There's still hope," Vanessa said as the nurses drew the curtains surrounding my bed. They were still trying to chase her out.

"We will talk after someone has calmed down." Vanessa raised her voice a little. The sound of the door closing came next.

-----------------------

(1040 words)

A/N: Apologies for the late update, but better late than never. Am I right?

Alex is too reckless, Vanessa is too animated. Nathan seems to have backed out of Alex's life. Oh no. What's going to happen next?

How was this part for you? Any comments? I appreciate any type of feedback.

This story is nearing the end. Probably 2 or 3 chapters more and were are gonna bid farewell to Alex and Nathan. It's a little bittersweet for me since I didn't expect myself to finish writing any kind of story before this.

See you all in the next part!

Stay safe, wherever you are!