16

RICHARD 'RICKY' BOWEN

I burst into the school doors and completely out of breath I jumped round a corner and into the theatre classroom.

"I'm sorry I'm late, my mom, she caught an earlier flight" I dropped my things and bounced onto the stage where the rest of the cast was looking up at me.

Sat next to Carlos was Lennon she had her hair tied back messily and her legs were crossed even though she sat on a perfectly good chair, and she wore an oversized hoodie which drowned her but I found slightly adorable.

"Where are we?" I asked looking to Miss. Jenn who did not look happy in the slightest, her hands were threaded together and she was doing those eyes that meant I was in trouble.

"Scene seven" she replied and I groaned, of course it was the scene I'd lost.

"Right" I scratched my head and looked to Nini who didn't seem bothered and then to Lennon who's eyes had creeped up towards me "I don't have it. Could I borrow-"

In that second Lennon reached forward as if instinct to give me hers but Miss. Jenn hit it backwards and shook her head.

"You need your script, Ricky. And a pencil. It's a blocking rehearsal" she smiled even though I knew it was paining her, not that she knew much about pain right now.

"Could I borrow a pencil?" I asked Nini and from in the cast, Ashlyn stood up and offered her pencil to which Miss. Jenn snapped and then began to rant about.

My head felt so heavy so when my eyes drifted upwards and I saw Lennons sad facial expression my whole body felt like crumpling inward.

She wasn't even listening to what Miss. Jenn had to say, she cocked her head to one side and mouthed something along the lines of

"What's wrong?"

I couldn't tell her, at least not right then, but it was nice that someone had actually been bothered enough to question me on my tardiness and low mood.

"Miss. Jenn, I know the scene" I tried to salvage but it didn't work, she raised a finger at me and groaned.

"Would you meet me in my office please? Thank you"

And with that I grabbed my backpack and swung it on my shoulder exiting the theatre room in a strop.

"Hey!" Called a voice and I expected it to be Big Red but I turned to see Lennon, she really did look like she was smothered in the jumper but I wasn't surprised because she was so tiny.

"Hi" I smiled back weakly.

"Rough morning?" She asked walking closer towards me, she looked back at the theatre door and chuckled "she'll be in there for another twenty minutes ranting don't worry about rushing"

I looked down at her and her upturned nose and for some reason I had a strong urge to cup her face in the palm of my hand, I didn't but I was so close.

"What's going on up there?" She giggled standing on her tip toes to press my head playfully and for some reason even though I was hurting I let a smile pass my lips.

"My parents" I replied slightly because as soon as I said it normally that'd make it more real and I didn't want it to be any more real than it already was.

"You want a hug or some shit?" Lennon asked and I shook my head but chuckled "cmonnnn" she teased out stretching her arms "just one tiny squeeze" she danced from foot to foot with a cheesy put on grin and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"Just because you wanna hug me" I joked back and she stopped immediately folding her arms across her chest and pouting.

"I do not" she said childishly sticking out her tongue and I tried to pinch it with my fingers which made her push me back a little.

"Oh you totally do" I teased beginning to walk off and in a huff she carried on after me, like a stroppy child.

"Hey! No! Wait!" She whines pulling my jumper backwards making me stare at her almost lovingly.

I don't know what made me do it but I slightly bent down and crashed into her chest, she wrapped her arms around me kind of stunned at my pace.

I pulled away a few seconds after lingering with a guilty and embarrassed look on my face but she gave me a sad smile.

"Hey Ricky" she whispered "if you ever need me, you know where I am"

And with that she disappeared off leaving me on a lonely trek to Miss. Jenn's office.