28

RICHARD 'RICKY' BOWEN

I was practically dancing round my kitchen thinking of possible ways to ring my mom and say happy thanksgiving or whatever. I didn't know what to say or whether it's even what I wanted.

I actually thought about calling Lennon and asking her for advice but I bailed on that and carried on pacing.

Fuck it I said to myself as I unlocked my phone and pressed upon my moms smiling face, waiting long and hard before the line picked up.

"Hello?" Asked a male voice and I scowled in confusion. Had I rang the wrong number?

"Um I'm sorry I was trying to reach Lynne" it felt weird saying her name as such but yet for some reason it rolled straight of my tongue like it was natural "I think I have the wrong number"

"No you got it right. Ricky, this is Todd. I've heard so much about you"

I felt like I couldn't breathe I was so confused, my mind was racing and I couldn't say anything but mumble. Todd said she was in the shower so I just ended the call without a second thought.

My stomach sinking.

I didn't know what to do, I felt like crying as I leant on my counter. I hovered over Lennon's contact for a while wondering whether she'd even pick up or want to talk to me.

Instead the doorbell rang and I slid my phone back into my pocket.

At the door was Gina, I wasn't expecting her and so I stuttered and fell over my sentences asking if instead I could just meet her at Ashlyn's or something.

I couldn't get out of my head the phone call and then Lennon.

I'd wished so bad that the doorbell was Lennon.

She was being nice, well a little harsh at first because I'd been snappy but she started to be motivational and it actually caused a little smile to erupt on my face.

I took a long drawn out breath and thought the quicker I got to Ashlyn's the quicker I'd get to talk to Lennon.

And I really needed her.

When I arrived at Ashlyn's the first person I bumped into was Nini which was kind of awkward seen as Gina followed me in and the pair just look at each other dumbfounded.

We were awkwardly laughing and I hated it but I wanted to leave the situation as fast as possible and luckily my chance came when Lennon entered my eyesight clutching a bowl of popcorn.

She glanced up at me and I understand that it looked bad, me being stood there with both Nini and Gina but she didn't let it faze her and instead sent me a small smile.

As everyone joined the others in teams for whatever Carlos was planning I grabbed Lennon and pulled her into the seat next to me.

I don't know why but I just felt like I needed her presence and sure enough her hand found its way to mine unknowingly to the others and throughout the rest of the game she ran her thumb over my fingers soothingly.

When there was a break she stood up and softly pulled me with her and once we turned out of sight of everyone I don't know what happened but I crumbled.

"Hey" she soothed holding my into her chest "what's wrong?" She whispered and forced me just slightly to higher my head to look her dead in the eyes.

"My mom got a new boyfriend I guess" I said through tears and she ran a hand softly over my cheek and sighed.

"Parents, huh?" She giggled and then she stood on her tip toe and kissed my cheek "she still loves you, Ricky, don't hold it against her. Let the woman be happy" she carried on stroking over my cheek and I nuzzled a little into it.

"My dad mentioned you today, he's happy we're back talking" I smiled back and she looked down at her feet and giggled "truthfully I just think that he wants you to come round and watch football with him" I joked.

"Well give me a date and time and I'll be there" she said without hesitation and then she stuttered and blushed over saying "I-if you'd want me t-there"

I rolled my eyes as if what she'd said was stupid and didn't even respond.

"Have you eaten?" I proceeded to ask, "I'm sure I could take you out after if you haven't... that's if anywheres open"

She twirled a little on her feet like a giddy child and it was the most girly thing I'd seen her done in a while and it made my heart start to thump.

"Actually Ashlyn made me food, I think I'm gonna sleep here tonight. It's better than being alone" she laughed but it was sad and then it was my turn to raise her chin and tut at her solemn mood.

"Well if you need me or a place to go to and not feel alone you can join-"

"I know, Ricky" she smiled cutting me off and then paused before whispering, "thank you"