~ Chapter 13 ~

"Jesus Christ, don't do that!" 

I shoot a look at Axel, his stupid face covered in that sly smirk of his. The mind of a teenage boy is truly juvenile. What could he even be doing back here anyway?

"Sorry, sweetheart, didn't mean to scare you." He leans against the brick wall, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. He really doesn't live down the bad boy status. 

"Were you at the pep rally?" I smile, he takes note of my excitement and chuckles slightly. 

"No, but I heard about it," He removes the cigarette from his lips, blowing away from my face, "That lady is a bitch though,"

I scoff, "Tell me about it,"

"What are you doing out of area?" He leans in closer to where I stood, "Weren't you told to stay in the gym?"

"Doesn't that sign say no smoking?" I gesture to the white and red sign right above his head. 

"Touché." 

He throws the burning cigarette on the ground. Stomping it into the gravel with his leather boot. It was such a simple gesture, so... normal. 

But when he did it, it was inexplicably attractive. In fact, I take this time to check out what he was wearing. White t-shirt and dark wash jeans. Checking him out was completely unnecessary, I didn't even have to look at him to know he looked good. Part of me thinks that's what keeps me from ever actually being irritated at him. 

His eyes drift from mine to something behind me. The small smile that he managed to let slip past his lips quickly went away. He grabs my upper arm, pinning me to the wall, his body in front of me. Before I could manage a few colorful words, his lips were on my ear. 

"Your boyfriend is staring at us,"

Boyfriend? Oh?

"What are you talking about?" I try and peek around him, yet his large frame against mine was actively stopping me from doing that.

He shifts himself to the side. Still holding my arm gently, but his shoulder was now leaning on the brick wall. I quickly took note of how the sun shown in his grey eyes, if I didn't care about embarrassing myself, I'd stare into them. They were simply enchanting. 

Looking to where Axel used to stand, I only see Lucas Saunters. That couldn't possibly be who he was talking about. 

"Saunters?" I turn my head slightly to catch Axel nod his. 

Lucas Saunters

He was in my french class. I'd never had a solid conversation with him, but we were aware of each other's presence. We'd gone to middle school together. He has been the quarterback of the football team since I can remember. I'd never really noticed him, or given him a second glance. My fullest extent of interest in him was when my friend had a crush on him in ninth grade. 

"I've never even talked to that boy," I look back at Axel fully. 

It was true, Lucas was definitely staring. It was the reason that I didn't know. Lucas was sitting on the tables tops of the seating area outside. Jock friends all around him, yet he was staring at me. 

More specifically Axel's hand on my arm

"What do you think he wants?" I subconsciously move closer to Axel, uncomfortable under Luca's gaze. 

"You."

<3

I sigh, unlocking the door to my house. They, unfortunately, never did finish the pep rally. They told all kids to just resume their classes on a modified schedule and never brought up the dunking booth again. 

I think earlier to Axel's last words to me before he got a call. I didn't think Lucas wanted me. I'm afraid I'm not really his type. I don't actually know his type, but I know it's not me. Maybe he wants the homework? That would be unfortunate because I have not done it. 

There wasn't much different about him, he looked like every other averagely attractive guy. I'd managed to bring him up in a conversation with Olivia. She says he's 'God's true gift to Earth', but again that is a very large exaggeration. 

"Victoria," My father's voice rings familiar as I enter the kitchen. I immediately hold my breath, preparing myself for whatever he had to let me know. I can firmly say that I have not done anything to anger him today. 

"I need to talk to you."

I nod.

"As you know, your mother and I have had some problems. The divorce was good for both of us," He stirs the drink in his cup: Whiskey. I could smell it from where I stood. "You know Carol?"

It was a statement, yet I didn't actually know who Carol was. I furrow my brows, hearing heels click from the foyer. My father's campaign manager walks in with a shit-eating grin. She kisses him on the forehead, before turning her gaze to me. 

Honey, he was just with another woman-

"I've found happiness with her, make sure you're free February fourteenth. That's when we'll make the wedding announcement." 

My heart dropped

"...wedding?" My voice comes out hoarse, shocked. 

I really didn't want to start with him, I knew whatever I was about to say would not affect him in any way. I just couldn't let this go. It hadn't even been a week since he kicked my mother out. Now he was marrying his mistress? 

"It's been days,

"Do. Not. Start." He clenches his jaw, that whore of his latching onto his arm. In some poor attempt to calm him. 

Sorry, darling, that only works with people that actually love each other

"When does it end? When will you stop?" 

"I have no idea what you're referring to, but listen to me closely." He sets his glass down, "This disobedience I've been getting from you recently will stop. Do you hear me? If your grandfather was still alive he was would be ashamed of the way I've let you talk to me"

I have been reckless, I will make a note to stop speaking. 

"You need a motherly figure and your mother is in no space to be that for you,"

Note = Broken

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: She will never be my mother. I will play by your rules. I will stop talking back to you. I will move out on my eighteenth birthday. I will try to be the perfect daughter that you want the public see," I seethe through my teeth, "But I will not pretend that your whore is my mother,"

"I'll try and make you look like a perfect father, but as soon as the cameras turn off, do not forget that you are the farthest thing from it," I must've looked crazy standing in my classic kitchen with the wildest expression on my face. I feel like my father only says things like this to get a rise out of me, there's no way he thinks talking like this is okay. 

"You will do as I say!" He stood up, towering over me from where he stood behind the island.

But that's okay because I was ready for him to hit me today. If he were going to hit me, he better knock me the fuck out. I was not with his shit today. I felt my blood hot in my veins, I was ready for anything. Anything he wanted to say, he better say it now. 

"I'm not going to repeat myself,"

I should've felt a sting on my face right there, but, I didn't.

"I never wanted this life!" My father roars, the woman at his arm backs up completely,

"I never wanted you!"