~ Chapter 24 ~

"Sorry about that."

Lucas jogs to where I sat in the bleachers. I give him a tight-lipped smile checking my watch. We had a good two hours before I had to make my way into work. 

"It's all good," I grab all my things. "Do you normally drop the ball that much during practice or do I just have the pleasure of witnessing a bad day?"

I tease him with a smile, trying to ease any uncomfortable silence these few hours might hold. He chuckles deeply at my comment, shooting me a playful glare. 

"I see you're quite the comedian," 

"Call it a talent."

No matter how hard I tried to avoid it, the uncomfortable silence set in as we walked to the sitting area by the trees. He didn't make a motion to fix it and I didn't want to be the only one talking, so here we are - stuck. 

I pulled out everything I thought we would need for the project, Lucas pulls out nothing. I flipped to the assignment she posted, Lucas continues to just watch me. 

"Have you thought about some of the things you want to do?" I speak up again, he meets my eye. 

"Yeah, I looked into it last night." He pulls out his phone, fingers dancing over the screen quickly before sliding it over to me. 

"Holy- Oh my God," 

Lucas had our project skillfully laid out on the notes of his phone. Taking into account how little he had to work with, the project looked awesome. I immediately start to feel bad about being annoyed at his lack of effort. He didn't have to pull anything out, he'd already finished it. 

"Lucas, I- you didn't have to," I manage to stutter, "I would've totally done my part,"

"I know, I know, but I had free time last night," He waves me off, "French is my favorite subject anyway,"

"Really? Is there a reason?" I didn't want to just leave. There was only one reason we were hanging out right now. The project was done and there truly was no reason for me to be sitting under the trees with the handsome football player anymore. 

"French is my native language, it's the only thing that comes naturally to me in school,"

I nod my head in understanding. There was a rumor about three years ago that Lucas had traveled all around the world and wasn't originally from America. That was also another reason why all the girls had flocked to his likeness. 

I sigh, "If it's any consolation, I think you project you did, all by yourself, looks incredible,"

"I appreciate that."

Again, with the awkward silence. This time was slightly different from the first. Lucas was looking at me and I was switching my gaze from him to the trees behind him. The sun was still very bright, showing no signs of setting anytime soon. His blue eyes were at their peak under the embrace of the light. 

I was trying to enjoy the moment with the cute boy in front of me, but my mind had no control. My thoughts drifted to what grey eyes would look like under the beautiful sun's rays. My heart did something similar to jumping jacks when I remembered that I would see him at work. 

"I really like your eyes." Lucas' comment shoots through my ear, wraps around my brain, and squeezes out of my conscience. 

"Oh, please," I snort, "Everyone wants blue eyes,"

"Blues eyes are simply a mutation," He retorts back.

"Isn't that what makes them special?"

He looks at me, "That's a good way of looking at it."