~ Chapter 26 ~

The week went one tormentingly slow; most likely because I was looking forward to the party Friday. I let it slip to Mia, but I emitted some details - like the fact that I was going with Axel Stone. 

Why? It was our little secret. 

Hundreds of rumors surround Axel, all of them bad. Still, I don't see the troublemaker they talk about when I'm with him. Annoying? Yes. Stupid? Yes. Undeniably attractive? Yes. A malicious criminal that wreaks havoc for personal gain? Absolutely not. 

Tonight, I'm going to feel free again. I'm going to let go of what I have to be and do only what I want. If only for a few hours, I would still be content at the end of the day. 

I wanted to misbehave tonight and make up for it tomorrow morning

"Don't get too drunk, remember we're going shopping in the morning," Mia laughs walking me to my car. 

"Are you sure you don't want to make an appearance?" I plead one last time, already knowing the answer. 

"After Liv stopped tutoring me in German I have to take nights like this to study," She sighs dramatically. 

I would've offered to help her with German if I wasn't almost a hundred percent sure I would only make it worse. 

"You do you, pretty lady, I'll text you after the party." I blow her a kiss and pull out of the student parking lot. 

I let the windows down, music blasting through the speakers of my car, on my way home. The wind blew my hair wild. I take the time to appreciate the outside world; my life at home isn't so serene. 

I wonder if being poor with a happy family would be better than a rich, broken home. My thoughts would sound selfish out of context - hell maybe they sound selfish in context. I do believe that money can make a person happier. However, this isn't my money. I am not the one that's rich. 

With that being said, I still have it overwhelmingly good. I eat and I sleep under a roof - basic human necessities. Nevertheless, no matter how hard I try, I can't ignore the fact that the only thing that fills my home is the heat of hatred. Hatred of everyone that lives within the home, as well as outside of the home. Tenison holds up the walls. Resentment pads the floor. 

The only common ground within that house is that everyone is unhappy, for different reasons, but still unhappy. 

How could I - a rich girl with every American's teenage dream - think about another life? 

Am I crazy?

Am I unappreciative?

Am I selfish?

Yes. I am all of those things and I'm about to be a terrible daughter. Maybe I am ungrateful, in all actuality, I probably am. Be as that may, I deserve to be happy - rich or poor. 

I slam my car door, excitement pulsating through my veins. I had about five hours to get ready. Honestly dreading that I told Axel to pick me up at ten instead of eight. It sounded like a good line at the time, but now all I wanted to do was be under strobing lights dancing wildly. 

I open the door to my home instantly taking note of the angry voices coming from the kitchen. 

"We haven't even walked down the aisle and you're cheating on me!"

"Know your place, woman! Where do you get off talking to me like that?"

"You promised me that we would be different! You said you wouldn't treat me like the others."