~ Chapter 23 ~

"Your mother called."

The words echoed throughout my otherwise silent kitchen. Our home had become so empty that as soon as he opened his mouth, I could smell the whiskey on his breath. My front was facing the stairs as my father sits at the island facing my back. 

I let out a long sigh, "When?"

"While you were at school, today." He sips on his glass, the sound also echoing off the marble countertops. 

"You can just text me the number," I brush him off, starting up the stairs. Conversations with my father did not need to be extensive; especially not while he drinks. 

"She called to say she's put herself in rehab," He ignored me, "She wanted to talk to you before she had to put her phone away for sixty days,"

I turn to meet his gaze, "That's amazing,"

"Victoria," He cautioned, "I don't want you in contact with her. She will only bring bad news."

His lips were tight and his eyebrows furrowed. I can't help but wonder how he justifies his thoughts. Does he even think over it? Does he think of anyone but himself?

I knew the answer to the second one: No.

"You want to keep me away from my mother?"

"You can hardly call her that,"

"As if you're any better," I scoff, "I'd take her over you any day."

He shot up quickly with my sharp words. His whiskey glass abandoned, but his breath was just as strong. 

"You better fix your lips before I pop you in them," 

"I know," I back down, "I know. I'm aware of the drill father."

He whips back around to his decanter set. Lifting some Jack Daniels into a new glass cup. Anger came off of him in waves, from his head to his expensive shoes I could see his growing aggravation towards me. 

Did I care? No, no I didn't. 

"You can't keep me away from her," I state as I head up the stairs. I quickly perk up again before he could run up the stairs and pop me. 

"But I'll make sure not to get caught."

<3

"You can't just keep ignoring her in Bio, eventually you two are going to have to talk," Mia states knowingly. 

She was right, I couldn't just keep hanging out with Jace - Kaiden's brother - and his friends in the back of the class. Olivia and I hadn't even made eye contact since our fight outside. I also hadn't attempted to talk to our mutual friends. The only people I've been in contact with from our little group is Mia. 

"I'm just going to let it play out," I state simply, "Let the pieces of the puzzle fall where they may,"

"Alright, bye beautiful," She kisses my cheek treading to her car, "Text me about how you and the golden boy's date go." She wiggles her brow.

I roll my eyes. This definitely wasn't going to be a date. I actually started to dread waiting for Lucas to finish practice. The football players scare me, they're all big and not very smart. Which is a toxic combination. 

Shit, I forgot my french notes in my locker

I sigh loudly, turning on my heels to jog back to my locker. It wasn't that long of a walk, but that wasn't the point. It's just inconvenient. I gather the notebook and secure the lock. Another loud sigh emits from my throat. These next few hours were going to be full of awkward conversations and uncomfortable silences. 

"Victoria?" 

The voice of the one boy I had been subconsciously looking for all day brought a smile to my face. I turn in his direction. 

"What are you doing here?" I joke, most of the time Axel doesn't even show up to school, so why the hell was he here after hours?

"I was about to ask you the same thing," He chuckles, "I've got detention. What are you doing here?"

My face drops, "I have a french project with Lucas Saunters, so I'm just waiting for him to get out of practice,"

"Ah, that's going to be awkward," He snorts, "Let me walk you to the field, I'm not in any rush to get to detention,"

"Aren't you already late?" We start to walk towards the school doors. I move to check my phone. 

"Yeah, so?"

I just chuckle softly at him, he was truly a bad boy at heart. We start to walk in comfortable silence. The fresh air and dazzling afternoon sun had my complete and utter attention. The click of a camera attracts my attention back to Axel - more like Axel's phone - which was shoved in my face. 

"Can I help you?" I laugh, pushing his camera away from my face. 

"The sun was pretty," Axel looks offended that I would even question his motives, "But the next one can be of you if it would make you feel better,"

"No thanks."

The bleachers were now in front of us, I can see the football players doing suicides across the field. My lungs burn for them; I've never been an athletic person. 

Axel places his hand on my waist, his lips next to my ear.

"You know," He whispers, "We could go under those bleachers and finish what we started yesterday."

His offer was tempting, a lot more tempting than waiting under this hot sun. However, who would I be to give in that easily?

"Maybe you can dream about all the things we would've done, tonight." I pat his cheek, pulling away from his hands. 

"I'll catch you later, Stone,"

"I'll see you tonight, sexy."

I try to shake my smile as I pick a semi-shading spot on the bleachers. I can hear the coach blowing the whistle and yelling with no end from where I sat. 

I almost immediately make eye contact with Lucas, his bright blue eyes sparkled in the rays of sun. He shoots me a smile before turning back to his team. His draw from the conversation leaving them to search where his gaze landed. Of course, all of their eyes ended up on me. 

I give them a small wave, feeling awkward under all of their stares. They push and shove each other with laughs present on their face, as boys do. 

"You can come home with me tonight, baby girl," One of the brunettes shouts from the field.

"Yeah, stop fucking with Saunters and ride with the winning team." Another one adds, both of them averagely attractive. I wiggled in my seat to get comfortable on the hard metal. 

This is going to be one long-ass practice