~ Chapter 16 ~

I'm trying to pick out my dress

My father and I have recently only been communicating through text. He would give me instructions and I would read them. I'd only respond when I had a question. I liked it better this way. My father was... tolerable. 

Their wedding announcement - dinner - gala thing was coming up. My father has instructed me to wear red, as he and his mistress would. It was Valentine-themed, so the people that were attending were supposed to wear: Gold, white, and black. 

At least that's what the invitation expressed

With the little shopping spree I went on with my dad's card, fortunately, I ordered a red gown that I thought was pretty. It was modest, elegant. My father might have a small problem with the tightness of the dress and the slit, but he has a problem with everything. 

My phone's alarm goes off.

Today I started my first day at work. It was eleven at night. My boss needed me to clean up before the big match. This was the one Kaiden was fighting in, all day I had been talking to him. I wanted to make sure he was okay. 

I couldn't lie, the underground fighting ring intrigued me. I would totally start fighting if I could bear the thought of someone punching me in the face. Another part of me is interested because of my father's hatred towards it. As much as I try to convince myself that I'm not resentful, I am. 

I try not to be, I really do

When I see other kids happy with their parents the mean green monster rears his ugly face in the back of my head. I wasn't just upset at my father though. I have two parents. Both have wronged me. 

I put on a quick little outfit and I snuck through my bedroom window. My father had installed motion cameras in the front yard. He says it's for protection, but I know it's because he wants to keep tabs on me. I still hadn't forgotten what he mentioned a while ago.  

He's had someone following me, but shit

Let them follow

It's not going to change anything

As long as I don't cause a scene, I won't push my father past his limits. He cares what the public sees. So I'll make sure that the public only sees a perfect family unit. 

I unlock my car, getting in. I planned on taking the long way to work. I wanted time to think everything out. I often have to do this. 

Think it out

I have to get in my car and drive. Right now, I was perfecting the speech that was to be made at the wedding announcement. The whole thing was going to be a lie and it had to sound good. I needed to be emotional. I needed to be happy for the couple. This was going to be the hardest part of the night. 

I don't want to think about that anymore, I want to think of something happier.

Axel immediately comes to mind, I let it. He was going to be there tonight, there was no doubt. Maybe part of me put on the tight black leggings because I knew, of course, that was just a small thought. The main reason I wore this outfit to work, was because I knew I needed to let my new piercing breathe if I was going to be working. 

The gym comes up in view, I let out a content sigh while getting out of my car. The only bad part of this job was the late hours on school nights. I would be tired in the morning, but I wouldn't be broke. 

"What's up bitch?" Athena greets me with a hug as I walk through the door. I smile widely, returning the hug. 

"It's kind of empty for fight night," I state as I walk to the back.