chapter one: "mommy?"

it was never my plan to end up working in my best friend's candy store, yet here i am. handing out overpriced sherbet to middle-schoolers, in an unnecessarily bright pastel colored uniform.

like any other child, i had dreams. they weren't exactly big, but they were dreams none the less. that kind of went off the rails when i was sixteen. my dad left me and my mom alone, taking most of our money with him. we got by, but i never got the chance to go to college.

i never would've found anywhere to work if it wasn't for ashton. when he opened the store, he offered me the job immediately. we built the business up from the ground, leaving us with what we have today.

the store is extremely colorful, with pastel walls lined with shelves upon shelves of jars of brightly coloured candies. we don't really have a uniform, it's more just a color scheme.
yup, you guessed it. pastel.

according to him, it creates a 'friendly environment'. according to nova, it looks like a unicorn puked all over the building.

i'm gonna have to agree with her on that one.

"cam? once you've finished by the register, can you help me with the gumball machine? one of the highschoolers knocked it over."

ah, highschoolers. the bane of my life.

"sure," i reply whilst handing a bag of sour patch kids to a small girl, "but if anything smashed, you're picking it up, ash."

last time i tried to pick up smashed glass, both me and nova ended up in the emergency room needing twelve stitches each. not my best moment, not gonna lie.

eventually, the kids flood from the store, leaving the previously loud and bustling store close to silence.

it's rare that we get quiet in this place, as it's usually filled with kids and their unwilling parents. you have no idea how stressful it is to try to work whilst you're surrounded by screaming children.

i close the cash register with a small sigh, which ashton picks up on straight away.

"what's with the sigh, cam? you okay?" he looks up at me from the ground, with one eyebrow slightly raised.

"i'm fine, just tired."

"have you been taking your meds?"

i roll my eyes, "yes, mom, i have."

he scowls mockingly. "we both know i'd be a great mom, so shut your mouth, young lady."

"you can't say that stuff around nova, she'll start up again with the daddy kink theories." i say teasingly.

"yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever." ashton waves me off dismissively, "she had no proof anyway."

bullshit. he really needs to put a password on his phone, search histories can be extremely informative...

"liar. we had proof and you know it."

"screw you, asshole." a mock pout forms on his lips. "go stack those boxes on the shelves, i'll ask nova to help with the machine when she gets here."

like nova will actually help him anyway. i mean, i love her and everything, but the girl is LAZY. honestly, i can't really talk... but that's irrelevant.

picking the carboard boxes up off the floor on the way, i walk back over to the shelves.
the boxes are full of gummy worms. ashton always makes sure to order an excessive amount of them, because they're my favorite candy in the entire store. sourpatch kids are a close second though.

as i reach towards the shelf, with a container filled with gummy worms in my hand, i feel a sharp tug on the bottom of my skirt.

standing next to me, barely reaching my thigh, is a small boy, with an adorable pout on his face.

"mommy?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

hi, hello, hola.

i'm elodie, if you didn't know.

you may know me from instagram (@/edgyirwin shameless self promo) or twitter (i'm not exposing my twitter. that shit is WILD.) or maybe you knew me on here before i posted this.

this chapter is short, cuz it's just getting started. chapters will get longer, i promise :))

this book was originally gonna be called 'mommy' but people would probably think it's some kinky shit. ya nasties.

keep your arms and legs inside the cart, and make sure all of your belongings are safely secured. enjoy the ride...

welcome to 'sugar'.