chapter twenty one: "little red dress."

[^^^ carmen's dress.]

[carmen leigh]

"are you done yet? i wanna go home."

nova scoffs, halting in her steps to turn around to face me. "we've barely been here for an hour, carmen. it's very important that you have something to wear for when you go out with luke. now quit whining so we can get back to shopping."

i glare at her back as she walks away from me. for what feels like an eternity, i've been dragged from store to store in search of an outfit that nova deems as 'appropriate' for a date. i didn't even want to come to the mall in the first place, i was fine watching anime in my room.

but nova insisted, and she seemed very set on the idea. i don't think there was any way that i'd be able to persuade her to leave me alone.

so far, we haven't found anything. she disapproves of almost everything i like, which is a real conflict of interest. i was hoping to find something within the first few stores so we could get this over with quickly, but it dawned on me after the fifth store that this would take longer than i wanted it to.

"this place looks cute... let's go in." she grabs my forearm and yanks me through the doors.

the walls are lined with metal racks, each one stacked with various dresses. in the centre of the store, there's a large circular couch, which appeared to be some sort of waiting area. at the back of the store is a door labeled 'dressing rooms'. within a few seconds, it became clear to me what type of shop this is.

"nova this is a wedding boutique." i deadpan, "i'm not wearing a wedding dress to a date."

"you never know, maybe you'll find one you like."

"i'm sure there'll be several dresses in here that i like, but i'm still not gonna wear one of them tonight."

with a sigh, she gives in. "fine, we'll go somewhere else then."

the next place she leads us to isn't any better. to put it lightly, it looks like rupaul's drag race puked all over victoria's secret.

"i... i can't even look. it's blinding."

"oh come on, it's not that bad."

"i'm getting a migraine."

"don't be so dramatic, it's only sequins." she rolls her eyes.

"i might permanently lose my sight if we stay in here for too long." she raises a brow at my obvious over exaggeration, "sequins are overrated and itchy anyway. can we please take a break and go to the food court now?"

"fine, but after we've eaten, you're trying some dresses on. whether you like it or not."

-

"no."

"come on, please?"

"i'm not even gonna touch it. it's hideous." the fitting room attendant gives me an offended look. i shrug in response, "i am many things, but a liar i am not, ma'am."

nova huffs, defeated. "you are impossible, carmen. i'm trying to help you, but you shut down everything i suggest."

"it's neon yellow." i argue, "i'm going on a date, not to a fucking rave. i'd look like a highlighter."

"but i think you could pull it off."

"i'd rather set it on fire."

"um... are either of you going to try the dress on, or should i just put it back?" the attendant cuts into our conversation.