chapter nineteen: "love you enough."

[this chapter is set in the past. luke and mia are both nineteen. if i hadn't already specified, louis is four in this story.]

"congratulations, you're going to be parents." the doctor smiled at the couple, holding the test results out for them to view themselves.

luke was ecstatic. he'd been excited to have children of his own for as long as he could remember. he couldn't wait for the day their child would be born, they'd only just received the news and he was already thinking of names.

mia was devastated. this was going to change everything. she had plans, dreams, hopes for the future. and now everything was ruined. all because of some stupid baby that wasn't even born yet.

"but we have options... right?"

"i'm afraid not, ma'am. as you waited so long before taking a test, you've already past the legal abortion period."

"it's fine," luke smiled, squeezing his girlfriend's hand comfortingly. "we can take care of it. we get to raise a child together, mia. isn't it exciting?"

for her, it most definitely wasn't exciting. she was angry at luke, and the unborn child. "no, it isn't. i'm going to be a model, luke. i'll look like a whale!"

the doctor coughed awkwardly, looking extremely uncomfortable. she felt like she was intruding on a personal moment. "i'll... leave you two to sort this out. alone."

she left the room without saying anything else.

luke let mia's hand fall back onto her lap. he wasn't sure what she was saying. she wanted the baby... right?

he didn't know what he'd do if she didn't want the child.

"i don't understand... you're not happy?"

she shook her head. "definitely not, luke. i can't look after this... thing."

with a grimace on her face, she gestured towards her bloated stomach. they'd both noticed the weight gain, even before the doctors appointment. luke didn't have a problem with it, but mia was horrified. she'd always been obsessed with her looks, to the point some people found it almost sickening.

luke liked her too much to notice it.

"we can try, mia. i know we're young, i know it sounds hard, but i really believe we can raise this baby," he moved her manicured hand so it was resting on her front, and placed his own on top. "together."

mia sniffed disapprovingly. she pushed his hand away, and stood from the plastic chair. "we can discuss this at home, luke. the smell of bleach is making my eyes water, i don't want my mascara to run."

he gave a small nod, fearing that if he spoke he'd say something he'd regret. he loved her, but this was their child. not just hers.

whilst it was her body, abortion wasn't an option. the doctor made that clear. they would have to go through with the birth, but what happened after the child was born was still up for debate. luke just hoped mia would be able to see things from his point of view.

-

"mia, we have to talk about it at some point. you can't just keep ignoring it."

"yes i can. now piss off, i'm trying to get a drink."

"you can't have alcohol. it's bad for the baby."

she scoffed, crossing her arms over the front of her chest. "so what? maybe i should drink as much as i can, with a bit of luck the thing shrivels up and dies."